Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What will we all do??????? >

What will we all do???????

What will we all do???????

Old 01-17-2011, 08:38 AM

Isn't this going green by recycling our used materials.Our Granies did not run to Hancock's, Joanns and Wal-Mart. We may have to start hoarding materials. Commonly called building up our stash. Marvel
Old 01-17-2011, 08:44 AM

Yep, our LQS even sent out a notice in their current newsletter on the rising cost of cotton. Seems all the mills buy their cotton from India or China that have been hard hit by weather conditions, raising prices. Hmmmm, would the price stay the same if they bought US grown cotton from US Mills and brought the manufacturing back to the US..Just thinking I would pay the higher price for fabric made in the US. What about you??
Old 01-17-2011, 08:46 AM

I have quilts planned for different family members. I have purchased enough fabric to do a quilt for my sister, a lap quilt for sis in law, a quilt for my spare bedroom. I am also doing pieced work, so I will be busy enough to see this through. I also have a bargello (beginner) started for my niece. No quilt shops near me. I get to the quilt shops when we visit my DD or my in-laws once a year, otherwise I will watch for something reasonable if I need it
Old 01-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

The big increase hasn't shown up in stores yet. China has increased the cost of manufacturing and that alone will raise the price 35% to wholesalers. Their increase gets passed to the retailer who passes it on to the customer. It will sticker shock by summer to walk in any store. Stock up on cotton basics now like socks, tees, jeans. At least that will save you some money later for fabric.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 AM

I do not have much of a stash either and used up a great deal of it last year. Will have to do some scrap quilts.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:35 AM

Good grief.........when is this happening????? We won't survive!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:01 AM

I have been buying just white when its on sale and starting to dye the fabric, guess I will have to learn how to make batiks
Old 01-17-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nolee
Originally Posted by deedum
just thing what that is going to do to the price of clothing, etc!
Just take a look at the grocery store to see how prices are rising. There is no compensation in our paychecks for that, especially those of us on social security. I want to write a letter to whoever that person was who sent us the note that we wouldn't be getting even a small raise because THE COST OF LIVING HAS NOT GONE UP!! What idiots in our government! Sorry, I had to rant....now back to the calmness of quilting.
AMEN!!! I got that letter too, 2nd year in a row! What a joke!!!
David
Old 01-17-2011, 11:27 AM

If fabric goes up by 80% just imagine being a quilter in Canada. We already pay $15. and up for fabric, we'll need a mortgage on our houses to buy more.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by davidwent
Originally Posted by Nolee
Originally Posted by deedum
just thing what that is going to do to the price of clothing, etc!
Just take a look at the grocery store to see how prices are rising. There is no compensation in our paychecks for that, especially those of us on social security. I want to write a letter to whoever that person was who sent us the note that we wouldn't be getting even a small raise because THE COST OF LIVING HAS NOT GONE UP!! What idiots in our government! Sorry, I had to rant....now back to the calmness of quilting.
AMEN!!! I got that letter too, 2nd year in a row! What a joke!!!
David
The problem lies with the Consumer Price Index used in calculating the COLA. At present, the COLA is tied to the CPI-W, which is based on the expenditures of working people rather than the elderly, with insufficient weighting given to day to day essentials, imo. The current government does not generate the numbers per se, that is done by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Yes, food and medical expenses have gone up, but consumer electronics and housing have gone down. If the CPI-E were used, which would seem to make more sense, the COLAs would be greater, but SS would probably go broke sooner, so good luck getting our lawmakers of both parties to change things at this time, especially since previous attempts to pass this change have all failed.