View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 12:01 PM
akrogirl

Originally Posted by davidwent
Originally Posted by Nolee
Originally Posted by deedum
just thing what that is going to do to the price of clothing, etc!
Just take a look at the grocery store to see how prices are rising. There is no compensation in our paychecks for that, especially those of us on social security. I want to write a letter to whoever that person was who sent us the note that we wouldn't be getting even a small raise because THE COST OF LIVING HAS NOT GONE UP!! What idiots in our government! Sorry, I had to rant....now back to the calmness of quilting.
AMEN!!! I got that letter too, 2nd year in a row! What a joke!!!
David
The problem lies with the Consumer Price Index used in calculating the COLA. At present, the COLA is tied to the CPI-W, which is based on the expenditures of working people rather than the elderly, with insufficient weighting given to day to day essentials, imo. The current government does not generate the numbers per se, that is done by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Yes, food and medical expenses have gone up, but consumer electronics and housing have gone down. If the CPI-E were used, which would seem to make more sense, the COLAs would be greater, but SS would probably go broke sooner, so good luck getting our lawmakers of both parties to change things at this time, especially since previous attempts to pass this change have all failed.