Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What will we all do??????? >

What will we all do???????

What will we all do???????

Old 01-17-2011, 06:42 AM

I do what my grandma did. I use scraps from all the familys clothing that is still good, tell my friends (they all know I've got the quilt craze)to give me their old clothes and use the good from them. Her quilts were necessary for winter and wasn't color coorinatedbut she took pride in them.you should see her tiny even stitches. I live on a small S.S. chec and can't overindulge in fabrics so I do it the fun way.
I have a few blocks that she pieced in the 30es and several blocks that she had started. all different sizes and patterns. As soon as I think I'm good enough I would like to put them all in a quilt.her patterns were cut out of newspaper. she hand pieced and quilted all hers. I finished one and you can tell mammaw didn't do it. and had 2 tops quilted. now I'm making tabletoppers out of strings.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:43 AM

Well, we can't control the weather! All reports I've read say the worldwide cotton crops were harmed from the severe weather conditions. So its not just here in our country (U.S.). Maybe this is a belssing in disguise. My Grandmother always found the bright side to things. This will help us clean out our sewing rooms by using up fabric we have, help the thrift stores by buying old clothes, help each other by swaping, help our brains by using our imaginations, etc. I sew quite a bit for our community theater and keep all the scraps. Now I'm already thinging of patterns to use the calicos from "Oklahoma", 30's style prints from "Smoke on the Mountain" and more. :) :) :)
Old 01-17-2011, 06:48 AM

I am thankful I started collecting fabric years back. Use to be a joke-now I am glad! I am set. My sis can join me in my quilt room and select what she needs. Too bad though, cause I do like fabric shopping.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:49 AM
Banned

Forgot about these--- my aunt gave me a box full of feedsacks that I can also use.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:02 AM

My stash will out live me,I have to hurry and use as much as I can as fast as I cam. After all I am 78years young this year.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:09 AM

congrats!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:40 AM

We have to relize that quilting is a hobby and ask your self how many quilts do you really need. We are maybe moving twards a hard economy right now and sky rocket prices on everything. I am going thru my stash and sorting out fabrics for quilting and will be saving for sewing clothing. I went to my favorite fabric outlet and got some really good deals this weekend. It isn't cheap fabric as it is quality discontinued fabric at a real bargain. My hubby is giving me $500.00 to get all the fabric, notions and things that I may need for quite some time.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Deborah12687
We are maybe moving twards a hard economy right now and sky rocket prices on everything.
??? I thought this is where we've been for the last couple of years.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
just thing what that is going to do to the price of clothing, etc!
Just take a look at the grocery store to see how prices are rising. There is no compensation in our paychecks for that, especially those of us on social security. I want to write a letter to whoever that person was who sent us the note that we wouldn't be getting even a small raise because THE COST OF LIVING HAS NOT GONE UP!! What idiots in our government! Sorry, I had to rant....now back to the calmness of quilting.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
Originally Posted by Deborah12687
We are maybe moving twards a hard economy right now and sky rocket prices on everything.
??? I thought this is where we've been for the last couple of years.
Yes we have been for the past couple of years and the cycle isn't finished yet. With all that is going on in the Fedral reserve and the dollar being week ....not going to say anymore.