Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What will you never do again in your sewing/quilting room? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-will-you-never-do-again-your-sewing-quilting-room-t231531.html)

nakotha 10-01-2013 12:51 PM

What will you never do again in your sewing/quilting room?

Oh my, today I entered my sewing room with a full cup of coffee. In there my floor is my design wall, hehe. And yes, for my current quilt top I did put the finished blocks on the floor. U know what happened? I think so! I stumbled over the door sill, and the coffee met every single block! So what did I learned? Never do tiny steps while enter my sewing room!

Another thing I learned is: Never walk barefoot in a sewing room if there is a chance you can hit a pin with your blank feet.

Is there anything you learned? Anything you will never do again?

Neesie 10-01-2013 01:06 PM

Well, ya know how when a paper towel is stuck to the bottom of a cup, you can sometimes unstick it (one-handed), by quickly jerking the cup upward? I've learned to not do that, when the cup contains hot tea. I would say, "in my sewing area," but am hoping I've learned not to do it, period. :p At least my tea only splashed onto the floor and me. :thumbup:

TrueColors 10-01-2013 01:07 PM

Sometimes I wonder if I'll actually sew in there....haha. I think I spend more time and money shopping & planning my projects than actually working on them. And now, I've discovered this board, and am spending hours reading and replying instead of doing something.

TrueColors 10-01-2013 01:09 PM

Hey Nokatha - I just looked at when you joined and how many posts you've made. I joined just a few days ago and this will make 32 posts. See--I am telling the truth!

zozee 10-01-2013 01:12 PM

Ruh-roh. What an awful feeling that must've been. I have been tempted to take coffee in there, but am such a klutz that I make myself drink only water (or sometimes white wine) when I'm in there. If I want to live dangerously, I go to the kitchen for coffee and steer clear of anything that looks like a victim.

owlvamp 10-01-2013 01:22 PM

Um nope I sew at my dining room table right now.

tessagin 10-01-2013 01:28 PM

Nothing goes in my sewing room to eat or drink with the exception of bottled water or a tall glass of ice water. I do keep a 32 oz. bottle of water for my iron. The office is a whole nuther thing. I sometimes eat lunch in the office and have coffee in the morning while at the computer. Again my design wall is portable. I can put it on a couple hangers and hang it up on my window. I sometimes use my bed (qn sz). I have too much dog hair and don't want to jeapordize having a lot of extra fur.

aronel 10-01-2013 01:39 PM

I have stopped making my sewing room into an office, I made all the bills out for 41 years of my marriage, my husband retired last year and now it is his turn. I would get so many papers and receipts all over my desk that I couldn't find my sewing machine. I actually hated to go in there. No more! I'm actually excited!!!

fabric lover 10-01-2013 01:53 PM

I almost did the same as you did LOL. I took a cup of hot cocoa to my sewing machine because 'I was in a hurry' , put it some distance from the machine, but when turning the fabric...... do I need to say more ROFL. Although I wasn't laughing at the time !

dunster 10-01-2013 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by aronel (Post 6324872)
I have stopped making my sewing room into an office, I made all the bills out for 41 years of my marriage, my husband retired last year and now it is his turn. I would get so many papers and receipts all over my desk that I couldn't find my sewing machine. I actually hated to go in there. No more! I'm actually excited!!!

How funny! I did all the bill paying for the first 25 years, then told my husband it was time for a trade - he got the checkbook and I got the remote. He took the checkbook and actually did a good job with it, but I still didn't get the remote. In a few more years it will be 50, and then it's my turn to take back the accounting. At least very little of it is done with the checkbook anymore.