Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Was The Worst Quilting Advice/Instruction You Ever Recieved? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-worst-quilting-advice-instruction-you-ever-recieved-t103289.html)

chamby 02-27-2011 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Pat P
Someone told me I could tear the borders to get the straight of the grain. Never again-- it stretched it so bad I had to remove all the borders it distorted the edge that was not sewn down.

Yes to me this is also the worst advise. I am a firm believer in not tearing my fabric. I have found that it distorts it very badly. I always request in the fabric store not to tear my fabric.

candi 02-27-2011 05:28 AM

Intersting read, ladies and gents. I am new to quilting that haven't tested out all the advice I have got to see if it's good or bad, lol.

Thanks for the information shared here about the borders, I almost always have my border on top, unless I pieced and it is a bit full.

czeilstra 02-27-2011 05:44 AM

With my knowledge of fabric,
Washing does two things. It removes
The sizing from the fabric. You have to
Use a sizing after you wash your fabric.
Washing Reduces the shrinkage but
Some people love that kind of look.
So to or not to wash. Follow your heart!
Don't let anyone pick your fabric. They
Can give suggestions but you decide.

czeilstra 02-27-2011 05:44 AM

The worst advice I receive is when
Someone tells me I can't do it. Games
on and I'll try it anyway. I have seen
People grow by experimenting.

duckydo 02-27-2011 06:00 AM

back in the 80's I talked my friend into taking quilting classes with me. Well this lady had us make our own templates, hand cut everything and then she had us get our batting she told us to get the high loft. Man was that every hard to needle. We did it but never again. I would only use something like warm and natural for hand quilting. After I learned more about hand quilting I often wondered why she had us use that thick batting.

judy_68 02-27-2011 06:01 AM

I took a class one and it was horrible. I have learned more from this board than I ever would have from that class.
Judy

jolo 02-27-2011 06:14 AM

tearing fabric will straighten it but it also stretches and frays the edges so then you have to cut and loose approx 2 to 4 inches of fabric,so you have to buy more. lol vicious circle. this is my opinion.

Jackie D 02-27-2011 06:16 AM

The worse advice I ever received was, you don't have to measure your quilt and cut your borders to fit, just make sure the piece your sewing on is longer than what your sewing it to. Big Mistake!

sherriequilts 02-27-2011 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by deanna.r
1. Keep the quilt, chuck the blanket!
2. Keep doing what you have been doing, nobody will ever know anyway! And, it does force you to make the bed.
3. Put the blanket on somebody else's bed.

ditto!

sherriequilts 02-27-2011 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
One of the worst ones I've ever heard is to sew the border on with the border next to the feed dogs. That's almost a guarantee for wavy borders.

Never thought of that. Wonder what I do! Now that's really going to bug (!) me next time i do a border. Up to now, no wavy ones though. :shock: