Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would Kon Mari do with quilters' stashes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-kon-mari-do-quilters-stashes-t262864.html)

RST 03-19-2015 04:42 PM

What would Kon Mari do with quilters' stashes?

It's hard to be living and breathing and not run into the Konmari phenomenon (The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. The author is Marie Kondo. ) She's the Japanese organizational diva who advocates keeping only those objects which spark joy in your heart, and purging everything else. The process of ridding yourself of everything but what you love leaves you with peace, joy, harmony and order, she says.

I wonder what she'd make of quilters. I think I'm like many quilters -- my fabric does indeed spark joy for me. But even so, my sewing room can get to be a mess. Are we the exceptions that prove the rule?

Toni C 03-19-2015 05:06 PM

hahaha sounds good to me. I Love my stash! It loves me! I know this because it tells me so ;)

Anniedeb 03-19-2015 06:25 PM

Sorry...haven't heard of her...or choose not to listen!!! I love my things....they give me a sense of peace and happiness. Like you, RST, my stash does spark joy!!

joe'smom 03-19-2015 08:24 PM

I had not heard of Kon Mari. It sounds like an appealing philosophy, but then my natural bent is to clear things out (while DH is a total pack rat). Regarding quilting stashes, it sounds like it would depend on whether they were a joy or a burden.

Peckish 03-19-2015 09:18 PM

I've never heard of it either, but I have heard of similar programs or trains of thought. The funny thing is, pushback against such programs seems to be growing just as quickly in popularity! :D

mom-6 03-19-2015 10:20 PM

Since my stash is a continuing source of enjoyment I guess I'm good with it being an ever changing resource at my fingertips. Besides I "Gotta have my eye candy "!

running1 03-20-2015 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 7133878)
I had not heard of Kon Mari. It sounds like an appealing philosophy, but then my natural bent is to clear things out (while DH is a total pack rat). Regarding quilting stashes, it sounds like it would depend on whether they were a joy or a burden.

My DH is a "pack rat" too... He wants to keep everything!! My nature is to clear out... EXCEPT for fabric. Working on that... I'll have to check out Kon Mari!!

Onebyone 03-20-2015 03:57 AM

Other then my sewing room, if something is in my way I toss it. I have several closets in the house that are completely empty. Kids are grown just DH and I so it's easy to not have stuff everywhere. I have had my sewing rooms looking like show rooms before but it didn't last long enough to put out the effort to do it again. DH has a shop and garage and the garage is perfectly empty but his shop is how he wants it.

JT 03-20-2015 04:40 AM

I have read the "The Life-changing Magic of tidying up" by Marie kondo. It is an easy read and a different approach to uncluttering. It made me smile while reading it with the Japanese customs thrown in. Although I didn't thank my clothes as I bagged them for Goodwill, I was able to downsize by 5 garbage bags. Lots more still to do in the house. But my sewing room? Not much there that I'll let go, unless it is in a quilt. Even the ugly fabric, I'll keep. As Bonnie Hunter says, if it's still ugly, then you haven't cut it into a small enough piece! Ha!

ManiacQuilter2 03-20-2015 05:20 AM

I have never heard of her. I am happy with my life and won't change anything but maybe will try to get more organized but that is not in my 2nd nature.