Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What would Kon Mari do with quilters' stashes?

RST
    Blog Entries

What would Kon Mari do with quilters' stashes?

It's hard to be living and breathing and not run into the Konmari phenomenon (The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. The author is Marie Kondo. ) She's the Japanese organizational diva who advocates keeping only those objects which spark joy in your heart, and purging everything else. The process of ridding yourself of everything but what you love leaves you with peace, joy, harmony and order, she says.

I wonder what she'd make of quilters. I think I'm like many quilters -- my fabric does indeed spark joy for me. But even so, my sewing room can get to be a mess. Are we the exceptions that prove the rule?

hahaha sounds good to me. I Love my stash! It loves me! I know this because it tells me so

Sorry...haven't heard of her...or choose not to listen!!! I love my things....they give me a sense of peace and happiness. Like you, RST, my stash does spark joy!!

I had not heard of Kon Mari. It sounds like an appealing philosophy, but then my natural bent is to clear things out (while DH is a total pack rat). Regarding quilting stashes, it sounds like it would depend on whether they were a joy or a burden.

Blog Entries
    I've never heard of it either, but I have heard of similar programs or trains of thought. The funny thing is, pushback against such programs seems to be growing just as quickly in popularity!

Since my stash is a continuing source of enjoyment I guess I'm good with it being an ever changing resource at my fingertips. Besides I "Gotta have my eye candy "!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
    I had not heard of Kon Mari. It sounds like an appealing philosophy, but then my natural bent is to clear things out (while DH is a total pack rat). Regarding quilting stashes, it sounds like it would depend on whether they were a joy or a burden.
    My DH is a "pack rat" too... He wants to keep everything!! My nature is to clear out... EXCEPT for fabric. Working on that... I'll have to check out Kon Mari!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Other then my sewing room, if something is in my way I toss it. I have several closets in the house that are completely empty. Kids are grown just DH and I so it's easy to not have stuff everywhere. I have had my sewing rooms looking like show rooms before but it didn't last long enough to put out the effort to do it again. DH has a shop and garage and the garage is perfectly empty but his shop is how he wants it.
    I love my life!

JT
    I have read the "The Life-changing Magic of tidying up" by Marie kondo. It is an easy read and a different approach to uncluttering. It made me smile while reading it with the Japanese customs thrown in. Although I didn't thank my clothes as I bagged them for Goodwill, I was able to downsize by 5 garbage bags. Lots more still to do in the house. But my sewing room? Not much there that I'll let go, unless it is in a quilt. Even the ugly fabric, I'll keep. As Bonnie Hunter says, if it's still ugly, then you haven't cut it into a small enough piece! Ha!
    JT

I have never heard of her. I am happy with my life and won't change anything but maybe will try to get more organized but that is not in my 2nd nature.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I found myself a couple steps short of becoming an episode of Hoarders, so I went room to room and looked at everything asked myself how long it had been since I had used each one and was I saving it because I might need it some day. I did the same thing with my closet, asking would I ever wear it again, even if I did lose enough weight to fit into it. If I hadn't used it in over a year or I would never wear it again, I sacked it up and sent it to Goodwill. Except for t-shirts, which will one day become quilts, I divested myself of soooooo much stuff. I also went through files and shredded and threw away old receipts, etc. and patterns I knew I would never make. Now, I scan and save the patterns, and get rid of the paper.

My stash "sparks joy in my heart". I review my fabrics periodically, and if there is something that doesn't make me happy anymore, I give it to my quilt guild for charity quilts. Having an organized sewing room does give me "peace, joy, harmony and order".
    Last edited by mckwilter; 03-20-2015 at 06:20 AM.

here is my problem - the stuff in my house that does not spark joy - belongs to my husband and he loves it. And it's true the other way around - my fabric/sewing is just a "mess" to him. However we do love each other so we make it work

I have plenty of things - the only reason I have them is they make me smile every time I look at them. So they are staying.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

RST
    Blog Entries
    I do think her folding techniques and the idea of arranging everything so that it is visible and easily accessible is a good concept for fabric storage. I think that she's on to something with having people regularly handle and fussily fold and arrange all their belongings -- sometimes doing that is enough of a fix to avoid going out and buying more stuff. Plus, if you've handled it a lot, you remember you have it and don't replicate purchases.

I don't generally speak to or thank my inanimate items, but I could make an exception for my Bernina. I think I will go thank her for years of service and ask if she might like a clean out and a squirt of oil.

I guess I can see her point. I do declutter pretty regularly, but, things that bring me joy can become fluid, if that makes any sense. Something I'm not interested in for a while can jump back up into my consciousness and bring me plenty of joy and happiness and something that was up there can go back down for a while. So, I guess that's why I keep some of the things I do. I did get rid of a whole bunch of stuff a while back and now keep a donation bag going. A little bit at a time. I was talking with some friends and we decided that if our houses blew away in a hurricane we would miss our pictures. I'm the only one with the sewing machine collection so I guess I would miss those, but then I'd start collecting again. We don't have any heirlooms as such, so that stuff isn't valuable to us.

I don't have much of a stash. Too much fabric isn't a joyful thing to me. I know I am the odd ball, but, that's the way it goes!!
    Alyce

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I have not heard of her. That being said.....as I get older, in my 50's, I find myself thinning out my things, like books. I decided more good can come out my donating books than holding on to them. I have a collection of star, moon, and sun items. Even though I have not bought anything to add to the collection in a long time, I just am not able to get rid of the pieces because they are still beautiful to me. Fabric....that's a whole other story. I love to just go through my stash, look at the colors and plan the quilts I want to make. Plus finish my UFOs. I don't think I'll ever be ready to part with fabric unless a friend sees something she likes and I can bear to part with it. LOL! Other than that I just don't collect anything anymore. I don't want the clutter and all the dusting. I don't think I am an organized person, but I have been able to reduce my clutter lately.
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    She would take every fabric in the stash and throw it in the middle of the living room floor. Then pick up each piece, one by one, and ask if it still brings joy to her life. If no, it receives thanks for the good job it did do, and goes to a place where it can now bring joy to someone else's life. If yes, press it, refold it using minibolts or some other method that allows it to be seen and loved every day, and replaced tidily in the cupboard. Then it is time to attack the gadgets, rulers, etc. I am quite sure that only one of the two 6x24 rulers is loved and used.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

I have not heard of her or her method either, but going from Krisb's description, I guess I am right on track with my stash.
    My stash consists of 2 bookshelves side by side. One side is for the fabric designated to garment sewing, the other side to my quilting. All of the fabrics on both shelves are neatly folded or on mini bolts and arranged in such a manner that they all give me joy, and inspiration for projects too when I sit looking at them.

My quilting stash bookshelf is sorted from top to bottom: top shelf is all the usable scraps of reasonable size. Folded and stacked in sort of a color coordinated way. There are also several baggies containing random cut squares one 2 1/2 inches, the other 6 inches. These are for scrappy quilts when I save up enough of them! second shelf is all fat quarters, all folded to the same size and stacked in groups of colors. Bottom 2 shelves are yardage, each piece 1 yard to 6 yards long, all also folded in the same manner and stacked according to color. The top of those 2 shelves contains prints, the bottom is all solids.
    Laura

Paying it forward, one Smile at a time!
    http://twistedvegas.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    Something I'm not interested in for a while can jump back up into my consciousness and bring me plenty of joy and happiness and something that was up there can go back down for a while.
    When my kids were little, I did this with their toys. I would box up the stuff they'd grown tired of and stick it way up on a shelf in their closet. 6 months later, I'd pack up another box of toys and swap it for the one on the shelf. It was like Christmas all over again, they found new joy in their old friends. It also seemed to cut down on the "buy me this" syndrome.

I have a fairly large stash which I'm always working from. There's some gorgeous fabric in amongst it & I even love going through the tiny bits not quite small enough to toss. I really don't throw much away, but find some way to use it. My quilting is my Zen time, so no... I won't be getting rid of it any time soon!! I live full-time in a camper, so I think I've cut back far enough!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I'm more the Peter Walsh type. He's on Rachel Ray often. I've gotten rid of a lot of things since I first saw him. if I happen to catch one of the hoarder shows on tv and him in the same week, I can get pretty motivated. I have to be careful though if DH gets really bored and catches a show Peter Walsh is on. He's like getting a shovel out of the shed and God help us which room he heads for. I try to direct him to the attic or closet behind the tv in the living room. I did let him into the closet in the sewing room that way I could have more room for my stuff. Never heard of the other gal.

Probably could not help me as I love my ENTIRE stash.

My tastes keep changing. Today my civil war fabrics spark joy but tomorrow it might be batiks and the next day
    it will be repro 30's and so on. I can't see getting rid of any of my stash and that is probably the most
    I have clutter with.

I like unorganized clutter. If you con't believe me come to my house and I'll move some stuff so I can open the door and let you in.

My problem isn't my "stash" ... I keep it small on purpose. But the rest of my house definitely needs it. Every time I try to get rid of something, I keep thinking I'll do something with it (but don't). My biggest problem right now is that all I want to do is sew. I did clean out a lot of things in 1 room last Fall but can't get inspired to start the next room. Maybe I should read this book. Ha. My DH, on the other hand, throws everything away. When I finish a crossword puzzle book, I hand it to him to toss simply for that reason. He always laughs.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RST View Post
    It's hard to be living and breathing and not run into the Konmari phenomenon (The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. The author is Marie Kondo. ) She's the Japanese organizational diva who advocates keeping only those objects which spark joy in your heart, and purging everything else. The process of ridding yourself of everything but what you love leaves you with peace, joy, harmony and order, she says.

I wonder what she'd make of quilters. I think I'm like many quilters -- my fabric does indeed spark joy for me. But even so, my sewing room can get to be a mess. Are we the exceptions that prove the rule?
    Wonder if that also applies to family members?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast