Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you consider charging? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-consider-charging-t226789.html)

QuiltnNan 07-29-2013 07:08 AM

you gals all make so much sense... i'll have to reconsider my time when asked to make a quilt!

and leadtheflea... your quilt is gorgeous!!!

ktbb 07-29-2013 07:12 AM

http://www.custommade.com/gallery/custom-quilts/

here is a website where you can see lots of quilts and the prices they're charging. the panel quilts are cheaper than fully pieced quilts.

nanna-up-north 07-29-2013 07:18 AM

Being ask to make something really puts you in a spot. You don't want to sound like you'd overcharge but people don't have a clue about the cost of materials and the time you have to spend making something. I've only made a baby quilt like that once..... many years ago. I used to make clothing for people some time ago, too. I don't do that any more because no matter what I do, how well I do it, or how quickly I can get it done, I always feel that they thought I should have done more ...... doesn't satisfy me. I give my quilts to those I love or keep them. I'll never do another quilt or any sewing for that matter, for money. My gifts are gifts.

mighty 07-29-2013 07:32 AM

I think you should make sure you have all materials covered and your time is worth a lot to.

MartiMorga 07-29-2013 07:49 AM

I think that if you are doing this for a "living" than yes, charge like you have a real job - $10/hr or more. If you are doing it because you love to do it and would really like to make this for your friend's son, than just charge for the materials, matter a fact take her with you and let her pay the cashier. I get a kick out of people who think they do such a good job that they need to be paid the top dollar for a hobby. Sorry, but unless you are doing this as a business (which I could not do, don't like making two of the same thing), you should be happy to have the materials covered. A friend of my husband, his wife was making stuffed animals, you know the panels you buy and cut out, assemble and stuff - I wanted to be kind and courteous, and complimented her on a dinosaur she made. Said, "wow, that is cute, I have a nephew who really likes dinosaurs, bet he would love it." She made one and her husband brought it over and of course as surprised as I was I asked what I owed her, $25!!!! Got out the purse, paid and was much less enthusiastic when complimenting people. So - some of us are pretty proud of our work, but are we all we think we are?

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 07-29-2013 07:55 AM

I agree with Marti. It depends on where you want to go with this endeavor. Do you want it to become a job that makes actual money or do you just want to support your quilting habit? Some people love to quilt enough that just having their supplies paid for is a blessing. Other people need to make actual income. You've got to know your own situation.

Tashana 07-29-2013 09:16 AM

I understand all about appreciating our time and effort, BUT you also have to look at it from the buyer's perspective. I do not know about you, but I would not pay $200+ for a baby quilt. If it is priced right, more customers will come. We like the craft and we do it for fun. If we get paid for it even better. I would say that staying between $100 and $125 total would be a good price. I may be wrong. Good luck!

mom-6 07-29-2013 09:47 AM

I don't do sewing of any kind for the public. Friends and family I usually do whatever I do as a gift. Occasionally I will do something that I get paid for.

If a "random person" asks me how much I would charge to make a quilt my standard answer is my prices start at $350. Haven't had any takers! Thank goodness.

Usually for a friend I will ask for the left over fabric and possibly a nominal amount of cash. A lot depends on whether I really want to do it or not. Lol!

And I'm trying to break my daughter's habit of telling people "oh my mom can. . ."

It's not so much not wanting to do it as fearing I won't get it done in a timely manner.

Scissor Queen 07-29-2013 10:03 AM

Personally I wouldn't make one for less than $150. My time is actually worth something. Even every day mundane tasks if you had to pay someone to have them done would cost at least $10 an hour and I think housekeepers have gone up to $15 an hour in most places. Every second I spend working on something for somebody else is time I'm not spending on my own tasks.

And quilt making is NOT unskilled labor!!! Just because you do it for a hobby or your own personal pleasure does not mean that you should have to do it for pennies an hour for somebody else.

When you get paid for a quilt you are in business, even if it's just once, it's still a business transaction.

QuiltE 07-29-2013 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 6203368)
Personally I wouldn't make one for less than $150. My time is actually worth something. Even every day mundane tasks if you had to pay someone to have them done would cost at least $10 an hour and I think housekeepers have gone up to $15 an hour in most places. Every second I spend working on something for somebody else is time I'm not spending on my own tasks.

And quilt making is NOT unskilled labor!!! Just because you do it for a hobby or your own personal pleasure does not mean that you should have to do it for pennies an hour for somebody else.

When you get paid for a quilt you are in business, even if it's just once, it's still a business transaction.

Well Said, ScissorQ!!

And I'll add ... once you do one at a less than realistic price, you have set a precedent. So what then, when that same person says I'd like another? .... or a dozen?

One should treat themself fairly ... unless they want to be treated like a doormat! :D

If they want cheap .... then tell them to go to WalMart!