Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you consider charging? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-consider-charging-t226789.html)

carolaug 07-29-2013 01:31 PM

Alot of people say I should sell my quilts, but same as everyone else...People are shocked to hear what it cost to make a quilt buying from LQS, batting, thread..not even including labor...the cost of the materials for a custom quilt is expensive. that is one reason why I make more scrappies as give aways...I am going to start keeping more of my quilts that i have a plan for. Sometimes I wonder why I do this...but I do find it relaxing and enjoy the process.

CookyIN 07-29-2013 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by patchsamkim (Post 6202846)
Cost of materials plus a MINIMUM of $10.00/hr for your time...to me, my time is precious, and I would charge at least $12/hr...I have enough of my own projects, that I wouldn't make something for someone else unless I am compensated well enough for my time. A quilt that you give away as a gift is a labor of love and priceless, but if you are making one to order, you should be paid appropriately for your TIME!

Couldn't agree more. And it isn't just your time... it's your skill and craftsmanship as well. I like the idea of having her pay in advance for materials. That will make it less likely that she'll change her mind, and ensure that you don't get totally stuck if she does.

Peckish 07-29-2013 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug (Post 6203686)
Alot of people say I should sell my quilts, but same as everyone else...People are shocked to hear what it cost to make a quilt buying from LQS, batting, thread..not even including labor...the cost of the materials for a custom quilt is expensive.

This has been my experience as well. Someone asked me to recreate an old, well-loved quilt. I very carefully wrote up a proposal. I estimated about $100 for labor and $100 for fabric/supplies. She was shocked and said "Oh, I just assumed you'd just use fabrics from your stash." So, because I've already purchased it, that means she should get it for free???

SemiSweet 07-29-2013 02:21 PM

When calculating the cost of your time, don't forget the added stress of making sure you "get it right" for someone that's paying for it. When I make make one for myself I don't worry that much if there are flaws. I worry a bit about a gift, but usually I know they'll be so touched by the gift that they won't notice mistakes. I would feel the most stress about doing something on commission.

alisonquilts 07-29-2013 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 6203633)
....And I'll add ... once you do one at a less than realistic price, you have set a precedent. So what then, when that same person says I'd like another? .... or a dozen...

I agree in principle, QuiltE, but there are exceptions. As a "foot in the door" move I once underpriced myself to get an initial commission (basically covered materials, plus enough extra for an expensive bar of chocolate) gambling that this particular person would request other quilts and be willing to pay a higher price when she saw what I could do. It paid off for me, and she has been a loyal customer for three separate projects so far, with a fourth pending. If I hadn't lowballed my initial "bid" (on the now defunct Alchemy section of Etsy) I would not have got her repeat business.

Originally Posted by SemiSweet (Post 6203770)
When calculating the cost of your time, don't forget the added stress of making sure you "get it right" for someone that's paying for it. When I make make one for myself I don't worry that much if there are flaws. I worry a bit about a gift, but usually I know they'll be so touched by the gift that they won't notice mistakes. I would feel the most stress about doing something on commission.

This is very true, and is something I wrestle with each time I make a commissioned quilt. I haven't had any negative reactions so far...but I am always nervous right 'til the end! It is the worst part of the process for me.

Alison

Treasureit 07-29-2013 04:21 PM

Usually when you tell someone just what the fabric costs they nearly faint...so I bet she won't really pay to have you make it.

Retired Fire Chief 07-29-2013 04:45 PM

Your sunbonnet Sue quilt was precious, I think what you charged was more than reasonable, even too little.

Retired Fire Chief 07-29-2013 05:02 PM

Thanks everyone for your opinions, I value all of them regardless of the position. I quilt for my pleasure and have only given quilts to family and dear friends on special occassions. I do not want to do it as a business, I would be too critical of my work and don't need the stress, I had more than my fair share before I retired. I'm looking forward to seeing more ideas, and yes, my time is very valuable, as it is I don't get enough time to sew as it is!

Maureen 07-29-2013 07:28 PM

If you are quilting it yourself I'd say 125.00. If you take it to the long arm , more.

QuiltE 07-29-2013 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by alisonquilts (Post 6203934)
I agree in principle, QuiltE, but there are exceptions. As a "foot in the door" move I once underpriced myself to get an initial commission (basically covered materials, plus enough extra for an expensive bar of chocolate) ....................

Thank goodness you budgeted some high quality chocolate in your pay cheque!! :)

I understand your strategy ... and can totally support that providing the person is ready to walk away if the client starts to whimper and whine about the sudden jump in price. Not everyone would, and would be too willing to crumble ... though might factor in two deluxe chocolate bars! :D