Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you do Giftwise? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-giftwise-t299550.html)

zozee 09-14-2018 07:12 PM

What would you do Giftwise?

Well, despite my best efforts, I did not finish both of my twin grandbabies' quilts. Dumb rookie mistakes that created too many unsewing sessions.

I have the little girl's 99% finished (still needs to applique her name on when we know for sure what it'll be), and a label. I am also still debating whether I'll put a fuzzy faux wool lamb applique on. Baby boy's quilt top is finished; that's it.

The baby shower is tomorrow. ( I would have made considerable more progress on the quilt tonight except that I had committed to helping decorate for the shower and make food at my DIL's mom's house-- which took 5 hours,f including travel).

I have two big-ticket gifts off her registry so I won't be empty-handed, but I won't have both quilts ready to give, either. What would you do?

1) give neither quilt till both are finished
2) give one and say the other one will be done soon
3) something else

I'm disappointed in myself and feeling grouchy. But there's no way I could baste, quilt, and bind the second one before tomorrow.

Iceblossom 09-14-2018 07:17 PM

I'd go with the gifts you have and tell the parents that "of course there will be quilts, but they aren't quite ready yet".

One of the newish trends in child care that I was surprised about is not using blankets until the children are a year old, just sleeper suits up until then.

wesing 09-14-2018 07:31 PM

We have presented a quilt top more than once for baby or wedding gifts and said we had to take it back to complete it. You sort of have an out for this approach if you don't know baby girl's name.

zozee 09-14-2018 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by wesing (Post 8126992)
We have presented a quilt top more than once for baby or wedding gifts and said we had to take it back to complete it. You sort of have an out for this approach if you don't know baby girl's name.

We know her name, but they are still working on a middle name for his.

Tartan 09-14-2018 08:07 PM

If both tops are done enough to take a picture, I would have them printed and enclose in the card. You could say they will be finished when the babies arrive.

Irishrose2 09-14-2018 08:15 PM

I was going suggest a picture, too. I would not purchase anything else.

NJ Quilter 09-15-2018 01:58 AM

What I do for each of the nieces/nephews in the family is make them a personalized needlepoint Christmas stocking for their first Christmas. For SIL's baby shower, one of the 'gifts' I gave her was snippets of needlepoint canvas; embroidery floss; velvet - all the components of the stocking - and a generic photo in a small jewelry box. She was quite confused until it was explained and then thought it a cute gift. Perhaps some snippets of the quilt makings along with photos of the quilts in their current state with the explanation of being completed for babies' arrival?

Nesie 09-15-2018 03:52 AM

I sympathize. I have been known to put the last stitch into a binding while waiting for the shower venue doors to open. (Still can't master machine binding). I work more productively under deadlines, but sometimes cut it close. Don't be too hard on yourself-quilts are truly special gifts and are worth waiting for.

lots2do 09-15-2018 04:16 AM

I think your wonderful quilt and quilt top may be overlooked to some extent in the hubbub of the shower. It may be more special to present them after the babies arrive. You already have gifts for the shower and you've already heavily contributed in labor, love and supplies to it as well.
Now, if folks will be there who may not see the quilts later, that would be another consideration.
Now, try to be kind to yourself. You've gone above and beyond!

SillySusan 09-15-2018 04:42 AM

Why not take both quilts so that they will be appreciated at the shower? And then explain that they are not finished and you'll take them home with you. IMHO that's the best solution. Just enjoy the occasion! It shouldn't be stressful. :)