Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you do if you made a quilt you hate? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-if-you-made-quilt-you-hate-t27212.html)

Bevanger 10-18-2009 04:48 AM

oh my. i love it. its gorgeous :D

weezie 10-18-2009 05:29 AM

Thank you, all you great ladies, for advice and complements.

First of all, I've gotten over the worst of my "EEW YUK" about working on this quilt again, so I spent some time and effort on it yesterday.

Second, I want to make clear that I have the utmost respect for long arm quilters who are there for us quilt top makers when we need them. However, this quilt already has enough quilting done on it so that I could safely put the binding on (which it is). Also, being of Scot-Dutch ancestry, "frugal" is in my DNA. I would pay to have something I like professionally quilted, but not something that I dislike.

Third, I've decided that, if I do not want it when I've finished it, I will donate it to charity. We've recently had much flash flooding in this area, with people losing practically everything they own. There are always people in need and Mother Nature is always creating new crises.

bearisgray 10-18-2009 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by weezie
Thank you, all you great ladies, for advice and complements.

First of all, I've gotten over the worst of my "EEW YUK" about working on this quilt again, so I spent some time and effort on it yesterday.

Second, I want to make clear that I have the utmost respect for long arm quilters who are there for us quilt top makers when we need them. However, this quilt already has enough quilting done on it so that I could safely put the binding on (which it is). Also, being of Scot-Dutch ancestry, "frugal" is in my DNA. I would pay to have something I like professionally quilted, but not something that I dislike.

Third, I've decided that, if I do not want it when I've finished it, I will donate it to charity. We've recently had much flash flooding in this area, with people losing practically everything they own. There are always people in need and Mother Nature is always creating new crises.

Hope you will end up liking it well enough to keep it for yourself. It really is a very attractive quilt.

patricej 10-18-2009 06:07 AM

if you are all the way to the binding and still don't like it, chances are you never will like it.

that quilt is a stunner. beeeeeeeeeuoooooteeeeeeeeefaminous, for sure. so, if you still don't like it, go ahead and give it to a flood relief organization.

you can rest assured that whoever gets it will be overwhelmed by the beauty of the quilt and by your generosity. :wink: :P

LucyInTheSky 10-18-2009 09:15 AM

I love that quilt. I'll take it! Finished or unfinished... :D

Shemjo 10-18-2009 10:16 AM

I think it looks great in the photo. I do hand quilting with the ladies at church, and often times we see things that no one else will ever see in a quilt because we are up close. No one else will ever see what we see. You know what you have done, and you are not 100 % pleased, but none quilters will not see what you see. I think it is a beatiful quilt and you will be pleased with yourself for finishing it. Then you can put it away and look at it later and be proud. :lol:

Boston1954 10-18-2009 10:36 AM

I think it is wonderful!! I have seen some quilts that were in shows that are not as nice as this. As someone else said, have it machine quilted and you may change your mind.

Up North 10-18-2009 10:38 AM

I think it looks just fine! I recently made a quilt for a benefit that I was SO unhappy with- I embroidered on the corners that were cut off, you could do buttons or a yoyo flower on each corner to hide the flaws that you see. But believe me non quilters don't see it!! I had lots of ideas from members of this board and they helped me see it from a different point of view!

Quilt4u 10-18-2009 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
First of all, I think the quilt is very attractive. It is high contrast, and in a light room, it may read too dark.

There are choices:
You can finish it yourself (just bite the bullet and get it done).
You can pay to have it finished.
If you decide to keep it, you can change the decor of the room to work with the quilt colors.
If you decide not to keep it, give it to the person who is just googoo-gaga over it (honest response - not fake).
If you don't want to finish it AND you don't know anyone in your acquaintance, donate it to a guild that gives to charity. BTW: there are members on the QB who donate/finish work for assorted charities.

This is what I would do.

wvdek 10-18-2009 11:30 AM

Good choices weezie. Glad you are in a different frame of mind about it. It really is pretty.