Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you do...? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-t145160.html)

sewlisa 08-14-2011 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
Who has the quilt? How worried will your mother be is you start working on it? IF she will be very worried is it worth it? Was this a very special quilt to your grandmother or just the latest one that she happened to be making? I think your priorities lie with your living mother not your dead grandmother. Think about it.

Mom has the quilt, and I don't know where she has stored it. I think for now I will respect her wishes and plan to finish it someday.

alikat110 08-14-2011 03:49 PM

Finishing it would be a great way to honor your grandmother, and giving it to your mother, where i'm sure it would have ended up, would be wonderful for your mother!

Charlee 08-14-2011 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by sewlisa

Originally Posted by TanyaL
Who has the quilt? How worried will your mother be is you start working on it? IF she will be very worried is it worth it? Was this a very special quilt to your grandmother or just the latest one that she happened to be making? I think your priorities lie with your living mother not your dead grandmother. Think about it.

Mom has the quilt, and I don't know where she has stored it. I think for now I will respect her wishes and plan to finish it someday.

Bingo! If to finish the quilt would cause your mother unnecessary distress, then leave it alone until it can no longer cause her distress.
Imagine this. You take the quilt top, and as you complete it something bad happens....maybe not fatal, but something bad. You KNOW what your mother is going to say, and not only that, she's going to feel guilty for "allowing it to happen".

You can't fight superstition.

luana 08-14-2011 06:19 PM

Is there some way to include your mother in the process? You would have quilt with the memories of three generations.

fabric_fancy 08-14-2011 06:34 PM

if it were me i would want you to finish it.

i hate having UFOs and i would never rest in peace knowing it wasn't completed.

quiltnmore 08-14-2011 06:46 PM

We would love to see a picture of your grandmother's quilt so far.

blueangel 08-14-2011 08:13 PM

I say finish it.

Teddybear Lady 08-14-2011 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by cherrio
I would finish it and gve it to mum.

Haha :thumbup:

GrannieAnnie 08-14-2011 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by sewlisa
I have a beautiful Sunbonnet Sue quilt top that my great grandmother made that I would love to finish. Now, my Mom is not the superstitious sort, but since Great Grandma died while working on it, she feels funny about allowing it to be completed. What are your thoughts, suggestions, etc. TIA!

Get you yearly check up and get busy! Take Mom when you get the check up.

javin22 08-14-2011 08:44 PM

Finish it. I am sure she will be guiding you all the way. ;-)