Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you do...? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-t145160.html)

sewlisa 08-16-2011 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by sewlisa
I have a beautiful Sunbonnet Sue quilt top that my great grandmother made that I would love to finish. Now, my Mom is not the superstitious sort, but since Great Grandma died while working on it, she feels funny about allowing it to be completed. What are your thoughts, suggestions, etc. TIA!

Get you yearly check up and get busy! Take Mom when you get the check up.

Now there's and idea. ;-)

sewlisa 08-16-2011 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by serenitybygrace
Shoot down those superstitions!! Not to be preachy but the Bible says, "Jesus name is above every other name" (Including death), and "To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord". Think of those smiles in heaven when that quilt is finished.

Amen! :thumbup:

ManiacQuilter2 08-16-2011 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
I bet your Grandmother would want it to be finished and pleased that her Granddaughter finished it.

I agree...Finish the quilt and she will be very proud.

Marvel 08-16-2011 04:18 PM

I believe that she would be thrilled to know that you honor her work and treasured it enough to finish it. It will be like makeing a dream of hers come true.

gus 08-16-2011 05:15 PM

finish it

postal packin' mama 08-18-2011 12:31 AM

It would be sad and even a bit disrespectful to all the hard work and love she'd already put into that quilt to just leave it. She wouldn't have started it if she hadn't wanted it completed. I'd be very honored if one of my own descendents revered my efforts enough to bring them to final fruition. What an heirloom. Bless you for your sensitivity.

MsEithne 08-18-2011 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by sewlisa
I have a beautiful Sunbonnet Sue quilt top that my great grandmother made that I would love to finish. Now, my Mom is not the superstitious sort, but since Great Grandma died while working on it, she feels funny about allowing it to be completed. What are your thoughts, suggestions, etc. TIA!

Talk it over with your mother calmly, without judging or pressuring her. Ask her if she can pinpoint the cause of her discomfort and if so, whether there is anything you can do to alleviate it.

You say your mother is not usually superstitious. Keep in mind that different cultures handle the question of unfinished works differently. And often such cultural assumptions are picked up unconsciously by children. Your mother may have been raised that such things are best not touched. Other cultures consider finishing the unfinished work as a necessary part of the grieving process.

If it turns out that your mother was just taken by surprise she may be willing to explore different options. For instance, if your great-grandmother pieced and quilted by hand, would your mother feel more comfortable about it if you did so with this particular top?

If you and your mother cannot come to some agreement about finishing the top that makes *both* of you equally happy, then I'd say let it go for now out of respect for your mother. I don't think anyone can know for sure at this point what your great-grandmother would have wanted.

Perhaps I'm a little morbid because I lost my own mother last April but my thoughts are that you are least likely to regret cherishing and respecting your mother now.