Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-t171359.html)

Rettie V. Grama 12-09-2011 05:29 AM

Give it to him before Christmas and don't mention that it is a Christmas gift, just that you just finished it for him.

Originally Posted by ABCQuilt (Post 4762472)
I have made my husband a quilt for Christmas. Yesterday he informed me that we can't afford Christmas gifts for each other this year. I didn't tell him I have made something for him so I'm not sure what to do. In years past I have given him anniversary or valentines day gifts and he has forgotten to get me something and he feels so bad! So should I give the quilt to him or should I use it as a gift next year? What would you do?

nana20010 12-09-2011 05:31 AM

who could wrape it and puy both u`r aand his name from santa. after all it will u both warm

Jackie Spencer 12-09-2011 05:32 AM

I would give it to him. I would not wait till Christmas Day, and would not wrap it, your a quilter so he already knows the time that goes into making a quilt. He will know you had it made before his announcement.

weenus 12-09-2011 05:33 AM

Give him the quilt and tell him that watching him enjoy it is all the gift you need.

Krystyna 12-09-2011 05:36 AM

Tell him you made him something.

lillybeck 12-09-2011 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Anna O (Post 4762540)
Give him the quilt and let him know, Christmas, or not, you made it for him. It's happened to us and it will be fine.

Ditto to what Anna said. He will know it was already done before he made his announcement

annthreecats 12-09-2011 05:56 AM

The only reason I said don't give him the quilt is because it made me sad that he gets to decide that there will be no Christmas gifts this year. It sounds like he didn't even discuss it with the OP. I got the distinct impression from the OP's post that her husband doesn't do a lot of gift giving and he would rather not be bothered and this was just his way of getting out of trying to think of something to get for her. I feel sorry for her.

GlitzyMe 12-09-2011 06:13 AM

Give him the quilt and tell him you don't need any other gift than him.

nursie76 12-09-2011 06:28 AM

Gosh, is it too late to go to him and say, "I need to tell you something. I was trying to get my Christmas gifts together early this year and I already have something for you. Would you like it now so it won't be a Christmas gift, but a "just because I love you gift?""

Only you know your DH and how he reacts to things. But I know that you made this for him with love, so he should definitely have it, you will just have to decide when. I would have been so surprised if my DH would say that so close to Christmas, that I probably would have blurted out something like "Too late!" before I even had a chance to think. LOL

Hope this turns out well for you. I think he might realize that it was a little late in the month to decide on no presents, so I am sure it will work out.

tappedants 12-09-2011 06:33 AM

Thanks to a suggestion from my DDIL, the whole family is exchanging homemade gifts this year. I reluctantly agreed to be part of this but the past few weeks have been a blast. I've made everything from homemade lye soap, purses, a concrete bowl, and old altoids tins full of cuticle cream. Your husband says you can't afford to buy gifts this year. OK. But there is no reason he couldn't make something for you. Even my husband is making stuff this year: wallets made from old inner tubes for the boys, one of his signature smoked briskets, and a jewelry rack for me (shhh... it's supposed to be a surprise.) Instructables.com if FULL of great tutes. Suggest you handmake gifts this year. Lucky you--you've already finished yours.