Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-t271217.html)

rusty quilter 10-19-2015 04:27 PM

Having sons I have learned what colors "they like" isn't necessarily the choice of their wives! I would ask the bride what colors she likes and go from there...Maybe my guys are different...but in general they don't do the decorating!

matraina 10-19-2015 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by cindi (Post 7348843)
I made this one in scarlet and grey for my niece, who graduated from Ohio State. Went with an Ohio Star quilt pattern called "Twin Sisters". Still Ohio-inspired, still scarlet and grey. She likes the fact that it doesn't scream "college", as an OSU design would have done. I've had 3 more requests for the same pattern, same colors!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533651[/ATTACH]

What a great job! It's beautiful. We have some REAL fans of OSU here.

sewingsuz 10-19-2015 05:46 PM

I love the Ohio Star pattern, I am from OHIO.

DonnaPBradshaw 10-19-2015 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7348900)
Love the star quilts in two colors. I have learned from making wedding quilts for the males in the family not to care about the quilt after it's given and make simple designs for them. Only one has stayed married, the others have divorced and didn't get the quilt. LOL

I'm sure this is what happens most of the time! I just remembered that we made a quilt for my brother and his wife who have just divorced! I bet he doesn't have the quilt that we made for him either! Why is this the case? Whichever family made the quilt is the person who should keep the quilt! I'm sure this doesn't happen 90% of the time.

starshine 10-19-2015 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Skhf (Post 7349565)
The colors are great but I would avoid OSU quilt itself. As a wife I appreciate a little more of a grownup look, not one tied to a college. Screams dorm roo. Or frat house to me.

I might have agreed with this before living in the center of Buckeye Nation, however I have seen women farther from 21 than closer to this age that are just as shall we say enthusiastic about all things OSU, and some even more so than their mates. I like that with the red it would fit in with so many other times of the year, but buckeye nuts know no season that it wouldn't fit in. just sayin'

I agree that is might be a good idea to at least talk with the bride but if she went to OSU she might even request logo material. There is something in the water I suspect.
A good point about making the label a dedication to your nephew in honor of his wedding though.

And ghostrider I totally understand your pov, as well as all the M residents too. :)

quilting cat 10-19-2015 09:15 PM

I vote for the scarlet and multiple shades of gray. You could still do Ohio Star.

ghostrider 10-20-2015 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by starshine (Post 7350149)
And ghostrider I totally understand your pov, as well as all the M residents too. :)

Thanks for that, starshine. It's the old rule of "if you're knocked out of the running, cheer for the conference." :D

cathyvv 10-20-2015 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How about something like this in scarlet and gray?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]533765[/ATTACH]

Sophie2 10-20-2015 06:14 PM

Cathyvv, I like that.

jillmc 10-21-2015 05:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I think you have to be a part of Buckeye nation to understand that one never outgrows the loyalty....and if you marry a Buckeye, you are a fan,like it or not! Lol!
Here are 2 Buckeye quilts I made for my adult sons- the first so a pattern that was a Mystery quilt from this board, and the second is a free pattern from Bonnie at Quiltville...3rd will be in the works after the holidays-probably a log cabin because I have lots of leftover strips. Go Bucks!