Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you do with this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-t287671.html)

bkay 04-21-2017 10:16 AM

What would you do with this?

2 Attachment(s)
I bought this at an estate sale. I don't think it's quite big enough for a lap quilt. It's too bright for a crib quilt. I like it though. The fabric is kind of thin.

If I cut off the half piece ends, it will be even smaller. I could add the extra pieced pieces into the main part, but I think that would be tedious - how tedious, I'm not sure. It is machine sewed, and the stitches are not too tiny, but they are pressed open.

Also, I can't figure out what those two extra pieced pieces are for. One is labeled top and one is labeled back. They aren't big enough for a pillow sham, unless it's a really small one. I have 7 extra pieces that are shown with the extra pieced pieced pieces. I probably have enough red and blue stuff in my stash to add a few pieces in. If I added a lot, though, I think it would look "added on".

I just keep taking it out and looking at it, wondering what I'm going to make out of this that is wonderful.

bkay

MadQuilter 04-21-2017 10:22 AM

I would disassemble the rows in the second picture and reassemble them to add to the top. Then I would square off the top and add a multiple border (narrow white, wider red, wider yet blue) in the same value as the existing fabrics. If you don't want to keep it, I'm sure many community service groups would love it. It would even work to donate to the Veterans as there are female soldiers as well. (It reads "feminine" to me).

luvspaper 04-21-2017 10:33 AM

I'd think about making a purse or bag....but then again I think it could make a cute baby quilt with an applique of a firecracker (or something else) -- babies like bright colors!

quiltingcandy 04-21-2017 10:33 AM

It looks very summery to me - not sure why but it reminded me of a summer picnic table cover. A friend of mine buys seasonal fabric to put on tables.

bearisgray 04-21-2017 10:54 AM

I do not think it is too bright for a baby quilt.

Cactus Stitchin 04-21-2017 11:21 AM

My first thoughts are that it looks like a summer picnic but needs a bit of 'decoration' to set it off. Perhaps a nice big appliquéd white heart with a decorative stitch around the edge to set it off, in the middle and add borders similar to MadQuilter suggestion above. Another thought would be to find a compatible block size and open a few of the seams so it could be cut into squares. Then I would sash with white with dark blue (similar value) cornerstones. Since the left side has more of the darker blue fabrics I would add them to the right hand side to balance it out. Then I would use borders as MadQuilter suggested. Just my thoughts!

Daylesewblessed 04-21-2017 01:49 PM

I would square it up and add a plain navy blue border or a navy inner border and a red outer border. Then I would find a pillow panel from the 70's or 80's for a Raggedy Ann or other cartoon type doll (clown, puppy, Snoopy, etc.) in those colors. I think those are about 18" tall, so it could go right in the middle. Since you shop estate sales, it wouldn't be hard to find one.

In the end you would have a colorful toddler quilt.

As for those extra pieces, I would disassemble one enough to make a border for a label and forget the rest unless you wanted to make a small pillow to go with the quilt.

Jane Quilter 04-21-2017 02:00 PM

It is perfect for a QOV lap quilt, even if you add solid red white or blue boarders. I would also cut the two items in picture #2 into large stars and applique them on the back. Its a great quilt, keep going................

ljptexas 04-21-2017 02:02 PM

How about making grocery bags?

PatPitter 04-21-2017 02:34 PM

I don't think there is such a thing as "too bright" for a baby quilt :)

It could be made into a table topper.