Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What would you do with this?

What would you do with this?

I bought this at an estate sale. I don't think it's quite big enough for a lap quilt. It's too bright for a crib quilt. I like it though. The fabric is kind of thin.

If I cut off the half piece ends, it will be even smaller. I could add the extra pieced pieces into the main part, but I think that would be tedious - how tedious, I'm not sure. It is machine sewed, and the stitches are not too tiny, but they are pressed open.

Also, I can't figure out what those two extra pieced pieces are for. One is labeled top and one is labeled back. They aren't big enough for a pillow sham, unless it's a really small one. I have 7 extra pieces that are shown with the extra pieced pieced pieces. I probably have enough red and blue stuff in my stash to add a few pieces in. If I added a lot, though, I think it would look "added on".

I just keep taking it out and looking at it, wondering what I'm going to make out of this that is wonderful.

bkay
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I would disassemble the rows in the second picture and reassemble them to add to the top. Then I would square off the top and add a multiple border (narrow white, wider red, wider yet blue) in the same value as the existing fabrics. If you don't want to keep it, I'm sure many community service groups would love it. It would even work to donate to the Veterans as there are female soldiers as well. (It reads "feminine" to me).
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I'd think about making a purse or bag....but then again I think it could make a cute baby quilt with an applique of a firecracker (or something else) -- babies like bright colors!

It looks very summery to me - not sure why but it reminded me of a summer picnic table cover. A friend of mine buys seasonal fabric to put on tables.

Power Poster
    I do not think it is too bright for a baby quilt.

My first thoughts are that it looks like a summer picnic but needs a bit of 'decoration' to set it off. Perhaps a nice big appliquéd white heart with a decorative stitch around the edge to set it off, in the middle and add borders similar to MadQuilter suggestion above. Another thought would be to find a compatible block size and open a few of the seams so it could be cut into squares. Then I would sash with white with dark blue (similar value) cornerstones. Since the left side has more of the darker blue fabrics I would add them to the right hand side to balance it out. Then I would use borders as MadQuilter suggested. Just my thoughts!

I would square it up and add a plain navy blue border or a navy inner border and a red outer border. Then I would find a pillow panel from the 70's or 80's for a Raggedy Ann or other cartoon type doll (clown, puppy, Snoopy, etc.) in those colors. I think those are about 18" tall, so it could go right in the middle. Since you shop estate sales, it wouldn't be hard to find one.

In the end you would have a colorful toddler quilt.

As for those extra pieces, I would disassemble one enough to make a border for a label and forget the rest unless you wanted to make a small pillow to go with the quilt.

Blog Entries
    It is perfect for a QOV lap quilt, even if you add solid red white or blue boarders. I would also cut the two items in picture #2 into large stars and applique them on the back. Its a great quilt, keep going................

How about making grocery bags?
    ~ I'm a Blessed Nanna to 2 Grandsons & 5 Granddaughters ~
    ~ I'm a Blessed Mom to DS & DDIL, DD & DSIL ~
    ~ Mom to 3 cats, Callie, Buddy & Daisy ~
    ~ God Bless the USA ~ ~ God Bless Our Troops ~

I don't think there is such a thing as "too bright" for a baby quilt

It could be made into a table topper.
    Pat

Pfaff 7510, Viking Mega Quilter, Viking Quilt Designer II, Singer Treadle

http://craftypat.blogspot.com/

maybe an apron with front and back pieces to fit and larger piece for the skirt?

I think lena has the right answer as to what it was for. But, I personally think a summer bag would be great from this. I wear so many neutrals that a pop of color would be a fun accent. There are tons of freebie ones on the web. A nice accent pillow wold be cute from this too.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I would just square it up and add borders.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Karamarie. Simple is best and it would be great as a QOV or a baby quilt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karamarie View Post
    I would just square it up and add borders.

Why is it too bright for a baby quilt? Babies love bright colors.

The possibilities seem endless, don't they? I would cut the protruding pieces off the larger piece. Then I would add a narrow stop border in a dark color. Then divide the smaller pieces into strips 2-pieces wide to make a second border, then a dark binding. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

I agree, babies love bright colors, but nursery colors seem to be gray, lime green and yellow right now. (yuck!)

I'm sorry I didn't say that I wanted to keep it as a quilt. It says picnic to me, too. I'm really new to quilting and have not yet reached the stage of anything other than a quilt.

I started ripping out the seams on the extra pieces last night. It's pretty tedious as the stitching is smaller than I thought. I'm going to get out the tape measure and figure out what size I could make it with cutting it into squares and sashing it. It wouldn't take any more "Mr. Seamripper" time than taking apart the extra pieces and adding them back in.

Thanks for the great ideas.

bkay

Quote Originally Posted by bkay View Post
    I probably have enough red and blue stuff in my stash to add a few pieces in. If I added a lot, though, I think it would look "added on". bkay
    In my opinion, the more you add of something else, the more it would look like it belonged in the quilt, as long as your additions were akin to what you have. There is a red and white check there. Could you find a blue and white check to go with it? Or some red background with hearts? There is very little of the white with flowers. If you took a few rows apart and put the new ones sprinkled all over, they would feel at home.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

How cute! Love all the color. Was going to suggest making placemats from it but glad you are staying with the quilt idea. Wouldn't you like to know the original intent? I enjoy working on a piece made by someone else and hope they are watching over my shoulder, smiling that their project is being used.

Blog Entries
    What about cutting it all into blocks about the size of the two smaller pieces; add sashing or even put the blocks on point to make an even bigger quilt, and make it a QOV quilt, like someone else said.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I do not think it is too bright for a baby quilt.
    I agree - I think babies need brighter colors - research says it helps their brains develop.

or...you could make a Quilt of Valor out of it - may need to add more fabric as borders to bring it up to size.
    Kate

I'm going to put the red, white and blue borders on it like Mad Quilter suggested. The question is whether I am going to cut it into squares and sash it with white and use blue cornerstones. I really like that idea. I've used it before on an I Spy quilt, so I know how to make that one work. Thanks, cactus stitching.

I also remembered today that it might be time to get out a new seam ripper. With all this ripping, I need a nice sharp one.

What size is a quilt of valor?

bkay

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
    I would disassemble the rows in the second picture and reassemble them to add to the top. Then I would square off the top and add a multiple border (narrow white, wider red, wider yet blue) in the same value as the existing fabrics. If you don't want to keep it, I'm sure many community service groups would love it. It would even work to donate to the Veterans as there are female soldiers as well. (It reads "feminine" to me).
    Yes, this is what also came to my mind.
    Anna Quilts

I would make it into a table runner and two placemats! That way you get the best of it all! :-)

Well, looks like you are good to go with this one. Which is very cool. I love to see these finds finished. Could you please show us when you finish? We would love to see the end result.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast