Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-pay-have-someone-else-bind-quilt-t144090.html)

Theresa 08-11-2011 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
Here's what I'm thinking:

Customer would supply the binding fabric, either pre-washed or not, as customer chooses. I would give guidance on the yardage needed for the size of quilt. I would cut the 2.5" strips on the straight grain, do diagonal seams.

Machine stich to front, hand stich to back.

After Googling prices, I think my dime per foot is low.

Any other thoughts?

You are doing a lot of work. If you were paid $15/hour, then calculate it out. It would seem important to consider the hours it takes to do a project and yet make some money.

Theresa 08-11-2011 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by fladack

Originally Posted by gramarraine
About 5 years ago the LAQ I knew were charging $30 for a queen and $40 for a king. I guess that is a little low in comparison to todays prices. I guess you charge whatever people are willing to pay and you will soon be able to tell. If your prices are too high you will not have any business.

What is an LAQ?

Long Arm Quilter.

quilter824 08-11-2011 10:58 AM

I love to do binding especially the hand sewing I often offer to do it for others

Old hen 08-11-2011 11:15 AM

[quote=Old hen][quote=LeslieFrost]After seeing and hearing quilters complain about binding, I'm thinking of offering a binding service locally. But, how to figure out the charge?

Per running foot of bound quilt seems like a good place to start. What would you think of 15 cents per running foot? That would be $30 for a 50" by 50" baby quilt. Hmm, seems like too much. Maybe a dime per running foot, which would be $20 for that dimension baby quilt.

Is there any other quilt binding service that anyone knows of?

I get 10-12 cents per inch. Includes cutting fabric, pressing strips, and 1 side machine sewn, back side hand stitched.

matraina 08-11-2011 12:01 PM

Me, too. I love the hand stitching part of the binding, too.

Quiltaddict 08-11-2011 12:22 PM

I think you meant 10 or 15 cents per inch, not foot, right.

johns2ndwife 08-11-2011 12:32 PM

I usually do my own binding(by hand) but for some reason I just didn't feel like doing it so I had a local quilt shop owner do it for me.....I supplied the binding,had it already cut at 2.5" to which she tells me that she only does 2.25" bindings so she said that was fine she'd cut it down and the charge for binding it(by machine) was $30.00. So when I picked it up & went to pay for it I saw she had charged me for cutting the binding down to the tune of $5.00 !!
Seriously????? she could have told me she was going to charge me to do that....then I could have taken it home & saved myself $5.00!! Lesson learned....my this is long winded isn't it? Sorry ladies....
So my answer is no....

Johanna Fritz 08-11-2011 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost

After Googling prices, I think my dime per foot is low.

Any other thoughts?

I don't know where my message went, but our LQS and most people charge 16 cents per perimeter inch just to hand sew down the binding to front or back. The twin size I just turned and sewed for me took 6 hrs. THere is a separate charge of 4 to 6 cents per perim inch to sew on the binding to the quilt...and another 4-6 cents per perim inch to turn and machine sew down the binding. It is a 2 step process: attach binding, turn and sew binding.

PWinston 08-11-2011 01:34 PM

Whatever they asked because I HATE, HATE, HATE to bind a quilt. It is not that I can't do it and do it well. It is only that it takes me FOREVER to do it. I am definitely not speedy with handwork. When someone says that they can bind a baby quilt in an evening. It takes me 4 evenings. It takes me longer to put on binding than it does to piece the top. I machine sew on front and hand sew the binding on the back. I've done some bindings totally by machine and do not like the results.

With that said, my thrifty side would kick in if I had to pay very much.

azam 08-11-2011 02:59 PM

I love hand-stitching the binding. But that would be a good service for those who don't like that part of quilt making. I think the fee would depend on if you're making the binding and sewing it on from start to finish.