Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 158

Thread: What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt?

  1. #1
    Super Member LeslieFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Trego, WI
    Posts
    1,870
    Blog Entries
    41
    After seeing and hearing quilters complain about binding, I'm thinking of offering a binding service locally. But, how to figure out the charge?

    Per running foot of bound quilt seems like a good place to start. What would you think of 15 cents per running foot? That would be $30 for a 50" by 50" baby quilt. Hmm, seems like too much. Maybe a dime per running foot, which would be $20 for that dimension baby quilt.

    Is there any other quilt binding service that anyone knows of?

    Thanks for helping me think!

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    961
    Would you be makig binding and adding it start to finish or just turning under and doing the handstitching part?

  3. #3
    Super Member luvTooQuilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Posts
    7,115
    Blog Entries
    1
    My LA charges $10 for machine stitched binding.. any size..

  4. #4
    Super Member greenini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,552
    Blog Entries
    16
    A friend paid me $100 to bind a quilt. Knowing it was way too much, I gave her a bunch of quilting equipment for the beginning quilting class we were taking together!

    I have no idea what to charge or how, obviously (well, she was the one who offered the price :shock: )....

  5. #5
    Senior Member Aully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Okotoks, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    674
    I am having a longarm quilter do the quilting part as well as half the binding for $50 (she will do the binding on the top by machine and I will handstitch it on the back) for her to do it all it would be done by hand she charges $120.

  6. #6
    Junior Member gaevren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Quad Cities
    Posts
    178
    It would really depend on whether or not you were doing hand-stitching or only machine-binding, I'd think.

  7. #7
    Senior Member luvnquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Junction City, OR
    Posts
    481
    Blog Entries
    1
    Interesting idea. I'm perfectly capable of doing the binding myself, so I think $20.00 would be fair but to someone who can't or doesn't have time to it could very well be worth a lot more.

  8. #8
    Super Member 0tis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,671
    Great idea - binding can be frustruating...

  9. #9
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by gaevren
    It would really depend on whether or not you were doing hand-stitching or only machine-binding, I'd think.
    I must be weird, 'cos I LOVE the hand stitching part.

  10. #10
    Super Member LeslieFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Trego, WI
    Posts
    1,870
    Blog Entries
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Quote Originally Posted by gaevren
    It would really depend on whether or not you were doing hand-stitching or only machine-binding, I'd think.
    I must be weird, 'cos I LOVE the hand stitching part.
    I love the hand part also!

  11. #11
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,121
    If you're thinking of starting this as a business, then you need to start thinking as a business person.

    Thinking that 15 cents a foot seems to high and a dime is better is not business. Consider how long it takes you to do the job? How many inches can you do in an hour? etc.

    The hand quilter I use charges a flat fee.
    The LAQs in this area all charge per inch.
    And these are with the binding ready provided as ready to go by the owner of the quilt.
    If they make the binding or do any extra work, such as trimming, pressing, it's totally by the hour.


    I had my first quilts bound for me as I was excited and wanted to get them home and onto my bed!! I soon decided for the $$ I could do the job myself, and I now have no qualms in doing binding.

  12. #12
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,489
    not one penny-------------sort of fun for me. Knowing I've finally finished something.

    However, I'd be glad to bind a small baby quilt for $30.

  13. #13
    Junior Member gaevren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Quad Cities
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Quote Originally Posted by gaevren
    It would really depend on whether or not you were doing hand-stitching or only machine-binding, I'd think.
    I must be weird, 'cos I LOVE the hand stitching part.
    It's not a matter of loving to do it or not (from a business perspective) but how long it takes to do one vs. the other. It will ALWAYS take longer to hand-bind a quilt vs machine-bind a quilt of the same size, thus it makes sense to charge more for that service.

    Personally I would prefer to bind my own quilts!

  14. #14
    Super Member LeslieFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Trego, WI
    Posts
    1,870
    Blog Entries
    41
    Here's what I'm thinking:

    Customer would supply the binding fabric, either pre-washed or not, as customer chooses. I would give guidance on the yardage needed for the size of quilt. I would cut the 2.5" strips on the straight grain, do diagonal seams.

    Machine stich to front, hand stich to back.

    After Googling prices, I think my dime per foot is low.

    Any other thoughts?

  15. #15
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,489
    Quote Originally Posted by greenini
    A friend paid me $100 to bind a quilt. Knowing it was way too much, I gave her a bunch of quilting equipment for the beginning quilting class we were taking together!

    I have no idea what to charge or how, obviously (well, she was the one who offered the price :shock: )....
    Mention my name if she has another quilt to bind! tee hee

  16. #16
    Super Member LeslieFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Trego, WI
    Posts
    1,870
    Blog Entries
    41
    I found one store in Omaha that charges a quarter per INCH for machine sewing to front and hand sewing to back!

  17. #17
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    11,953
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    not one penny-------------sort of fun for me. Knowing I've finally finished something.
    Ditto. I enjoy doing the binding as I know that soon the quilt will be finished. I usually machine sew the front and hand sew the back. It doesn't seem to take me very long. BrendaK

  18. #18
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,489
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    After seeing and hearing quilters complain about binding, I'm thinking of offering a binding service locally. But, how to figure out the charge?

    Per running foot of bound quilt seems like a good place to start. What would you think of 15 cents per running foot? That would be $30 for a 50" by 50" baby quilt. Hmm, seems like too much. Maybe a dime per running foot, which would be $20 for that dimension baby quilt.

    Is there any other quilt binding service that anyone knows of?

    Thanks for helping me think!
    The first thing you need to invest in is a math lesson. 50"x 4 sides is 200" divided by 12" per foot is 16 2/3 feet, and rounding that off to 17 feet multiplied by .15 per running foot is ----------------$2.55. The thread and the pot of coffee cost more than that. Don't forget the 3 cents for peroxide to take blood out of that one place you stuck yourself.

  19. #19
    Super Member LeslieFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Trego, WI
    Posts
    1,870
    Blog Entries
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    After seeing and hearing quilters complain about binding, I'm thinking of offering a binding service locally. But, how to figure out the charge?

    Per running foot of bound quilt seems like a good place to start. What would you think of 15 cents per running foot? That would be $30 for a 50" by 50" baby quilt. Hmm, seems like too much. Maybe a dime per running foot, which would be $20 for that dimension baby quilt.

    Is there any other quilt binding service that anyone knows of?

    Thanks for helping me think!
    The first thing you need to invest in is a math lesson. 50"x 4 sides is 200" divided by 12" per foot is 16 2/3 feet, and rounding that off to 17 feet multiplied by .15 per running foot is ----------------$2.55. The thread and the pot of coffee cost more than that. Don't forget the 3 cents for peroxide to take blood out of that one place you stuck yourself.
    Ooops, you are right! Too funny.

    I just found 35 cents per inch for full binding service at a place in AZ.

  20. #20
    Super Member LeslieFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Trego, WI
    Posts
    1,870
    Blog Entries
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    After seeing and hearing quilters complain about binding, I'm thinking of offering a binding service locally. But, how to figure out the charge?

    Per running foot of bound quilt seems like a good place to start. What would you think of 15 cents per running foot? That would be $30 for a 50" by 50" baby quilt. Hmm, seems like too much. Maybe a dime per running foot, which would be $20 for that dimension baby quilt.

    Is there any other quilt binding service that anyone knows of?

    Thanks for helping me think!
    The first thing you need to invest in is a math lesson. 50"x 4 sides is 200" divided by 12" per foot is 16 2/3 feet, and rounding that off to 17 feet multiplied by .15 per running foot is ----------------$2.55. The thread and the pot of coffee cost more than that. Don't forget the 3 cents for peroxide to take blood out of that one place you stuck yourself.
    Ooops, you are right! Too funny.

    I just found 35 cents per inch for full binding service at a place in AZ.

  21. #21
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,489
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    Here's what I'm thinking:

    Customer would supply the binding fabric, either pre-washed or not, as customer chooses. I would give guidance on the yardage needed for the size of quilt. I would cut the 2.5" strips on the straight grain, do diagonal seams.

    Machine stich to front, hand stich to back.

    After Googling prices, I think my dime per foot is low.

    Any other thoughts?
    Sorry, I hit send too soon.

    Sorry, You need a math lesson, too. You'd be doing that 50" square baby quilt for $1.70. No spare money for peroxide and you'll have to do with leftover morning coffee. tee hee

  22. #22
    Senior Member AndiR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    S. Dakota
    Posts
    511
    I think you may have figured incorrectly. A 50" x 50" quilt would have a perimeter of 200" which equals 16.7 running feet. At $.15 per running foot you would only make $2.49!! (16.7 x .15).

    I charge by the linear inch. If I'm making binding, machine attach to front, hand stitch to back, I charge $.25 per inch. So in the above example I would charge $50. Maybe I'm slow, but it will take me at least a couple of hours, and I won't work for less than minimum wage.

    A business needs to consider that the amount the business takes in (the $50) is NOT the amount the 'employee' (you) makes. You need to subtract out overhead like advertising, supplies, self-employment taxes, etc. General rule of thumb is 1/3 to taxes, 1/3 to overhead, 1/3 to yourself.

  23. #23
    Super Member jmabby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Minnesota, Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Posts
    1,523
    Blog Entries
    1
    I think depending what she hands you. Will the quilt be ready for binding, squared off; is the binding cut and seamed, ironed; has the other fabric been washed, if so the binding should be washed and ironed; they furnish fabric, thread etc. For a business I don't think $.15 - .25 a foot (CORRECTION PER INCH) is too much. Businesses don't ask customers what to charge, you know what you will need. It would be harder to charge more once you started, maybe you could have a couple of specials for the first month, get your name out there while you're trying to get established.

  24. #24
    Super Member QuiltnCowgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calif (San Joaquin Valley)
    Posts
    3,591
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Quote Originally Posted by gaevren
    It would really depend on whether or not you were doing hand-stitching or only machine-binding, I'd think.
    I must be weird, 'cos I LOVE the hand stitching part.
    I love the hand part also!
    I would love to love the hand stitching part but, alas, I was not gifted with the skill of nice handsewing. Add to that tendonitis in my elbows & arthritis in my fingers. Well, let's just say that handsewing is now just wishful thinking. Thank goodness I've gotten pretty good with a method using the sewing machine. I would maybe consider paying for someone to do handsewn binding, if a particular quilt would best be done that way.

  25. #25
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,489
    Quote Originally Posted by jmabby
    I think depending what she hands you. Will the quilt be ready for binding, squared off; is the binding cut and seamed, ironed; has the other fabric been washed, if so the binding should be washed and ironed etc. For a business I don't think $.15 a foot is too much. Businesses don't ask customers what to charge, you know what you will need. It would be harder to charge more once you started, maybe you could have a couple of specials for the first month, get your name out there while you're trying to get established.
    Ladies---------------please read your posts. Most of you are saying charge by the foot. I'm pretty sure you mean by the inch. If not-------------please drag out your calculators.

    At your rate, you'd be binding a super king for a bit less than $10. And I'm relatively sure you don't mean that.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.