Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt? >

What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt?

What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt?

Old 08-10-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
Here's what I'm thinking:

Customer would supply the binding fabric, either pre-washed or not, as customer chooses. I would give guidance on the yardage needed for the size of quilt. I would cut the 2.5" strips on the straight grain, do diagonal seams.

Machine stich to front, hand stich to back.

After Googling prices, I think my dime per foot is low.

Any other thoughts?
Sorry, I hit send too soon.

Sorry, You need a math lesson, too. You'd be doing that 50" square baby quilt for $1.70. No spare money for peroxide and you'll have to do with leftover morning coffee. tee hee
Old 08-10-2011, 08:53 AM

I think you may have figured incorrectly. A 50" x 50" quilt would have a perimeter of 200" which equals 16.7 running feet. At $.15 per running foot you would only make $2.49!! (16.7 x .15).

I charge by the linear inch. If I'm making binding, machine attach to front, hand stitch to back, I charge $.25 per inch. So in the above example I would charge $50. Maybe I'm slow, but it will take me at least a couple of hours, and I won't work for less than minimum wage.

A business needs to consider that the amount the business takes in (the $50) is NOT the amount the 'employee' (you) makes. You need to subtract out overhead like advertising, supplies, self-employment taxes, etc. General rule of thumb is 1/3 to taxes, 1/3 to overhead, 1/3 to yourself.

I think depending what she hands you. Will the quilt be ready for binding, squared off; is the binding cut and seamed, ironed; has the other fabric been washed, if so the binding should be washed and ironed; they furnish fabric, thread etc. For a business I don't think $.15 - .25 a foot (CORRECTION PER INCH) is too much. Businesses don't ask customers what to charge, you know what you will need. It would be harder to charge more once you started, maybe you could have a couple of specials for the first month, get your name out there while you're trying to get established.

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by gaevren
It would really depend on whether or not you were doing hand-stitching or only machine-binding, I'd think.
I must be weird, 'cos I LOVE the hand stitching part.
I love the hand part also!
I would love to love the hand stitching part but, alas, I was not gifted with the skill of nice handsewing. Add to that tendonitis in my elbows & arthritis in my fingers. Well, let's just say that handsewing is now just wishful thinking. Thank goodness I've gotten pretty good with a method using the sewing machine. I would maybe consider paying for someone to do handsewn binding, if a particular quilt would best be done that way.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by jmabby
I think depending what she hands you. Will the quilt be ready for binding, squared off; is the binding cut and seamed, ironed; has the other fabric been washed, if so the binding should be washed and ironed etc. For a business I don't think $.15 a foot is too much. Businesses don't ask customers what to charge, you know what you will need. It would be harder to charge more once you started, maybe you could have a couple of specials for the first month, get your name out there while you're trying to get established.
Ladies---------------please read your posts. Most of you are saying charge by the foot. I'm pretty sure you mean by the inch. If not-------------please drag out your calculators.

At your rate, you'd be binding a super king for a bit less than $10. And I'm relatively sure you don't mean that.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by AndiR
I think you may have figured incorrectly. A 50" x 50" quilt would have a perimeter of 200" which equals 16.7 running feet. At $.15 per running foot you would only make $2.49!! (16.7 x .15).

I charge by the linear inch. If I'm making binding, machine attach to front, hand stitch to back, I charge $.25 per inch. So in the above example I would charge $50. Maybe I'm slow, but it will take me at least a couple of hours, and I won't work for less than minimum wage.

A business needs to consider that the amount the business takes in (the $50) is NOT the amount the 'employee' (you) makes. You need to subtract out overhead like advertising, supplies, self-employment taxes, etc. General rule of thumb is 1/3 to taxes, 1/3 to overhead, 1/3 to yourself.

You can do a big quilt-----by hand--- in two hours? Guess I stop too many times for coffee, the potty, and changing TV channels.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by AndiR

You can do a big quilt-----by hand--- in two hours? Guess I stop too many times for coffee, the potty, and changing TV channels.
...and browsing QB :mrgreen:
Old 08-10-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by gaevren
It would really depend on whether or not you were doing hand-stitching or only machine-binding, I'd think.
I must be weird, 'cos I LOVE the hand stitching part.
I love the hand part also!
I would love to love the hand stitching part but, alas, I was not gifted with the skill of nice handsewing. Add to that tendonitis in my elbows & arthritis in my fingers. Well, let's just say that handsewing is now just wishful thinking. Thank goodness I've gotten pretty good with a method using the sewing machine. I would maybe consider paying for someone to do handsewn binding, if a particular quilt would best be done that way.
If you can do a good blanket stitch or whatever on a machine---------it ought to be good for a really nice quilt, too.

My hands kill me------------but I can still do a couple hours of hand sewing before squalling. Don't know how long that's going to last.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:01 AM

Binding this the best part because when you're done, you're done....lol!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
After seeing and hearing quilters complain about binding, I'm thinking of offering a binding service locally. But, how to figure out the charge?

Per running foot of bound quilt seems like a good place to start. What would you think of 15 cents per running foot? That would be $30 for a 50" by 50" baby quilt. Hmm, seems like too much. Maybe a dime per running foot, which would be $20 for that dimension baby quilt.

Is there any other quilt binding service that anyone knows of?

Thanks for helping me think!
The first thing you need to invest in is a math lesson. 50"x 4 sides is 200" divided by 12" per foot is 16 2/3 feet, and rounding that off to 17 feet multiplied by .15 per running foot is ----------------$2.55. The thread and the pot of coffee cost more than that. Don't forget the 3 cents for peroxide to take blood out of that one place you stuck yourself.
Ooops, you are right! Too funny.

I just found 35 cents per inch for full binding service at a place in AZ.
Hey, I'd do full binding at .30 per inch! as long as my pain pills last.