Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: How much would you pay someone to rake your yard?

  1. #1
    Super Member mollymct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    2,348
    The same guy helps me out with outdoor projects from time to time and will never quote a price to me for the job. No matter what I say, it is "whatever you think." (this is a second job for him--lawncare stuff).

    Well, I don't know! Now I can't remember what I paid him last time.

    So, I live on a city block. I have a decent sized yard, but I'd say less than an acre for the front and back. There's not much to rake in the front, mainly it's the backyard with the heavy leaves (larger area). I know it takes ME a really long time to rake, but he usually brings another guy or two and does jobs really fast.

    I know this must really vary from area to area, but what seems a reasonable range to you?

    Thanks in advance!!

  2. #2
    Power Poster Sadiemae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    11,450
    Blog Entries
    20
    I think he should quote a price, but he probably get more this way.

  3. #3
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    4,321
    I go by the hour & maybe $12.00 an hour, but I live in a higher income area & everyone expects more $.

  4. #4
    Moderator Up North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North East Lower peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    6,157
    I love in the country on 3/4 of an acre it would take forever to rake all that and I am sure he is also paying his friend out of the money he gets. What is it worth to you? Raking can be hard work. My mom has a lot in town about 40x80 but there is a house and large garage also a garden spot she pays my boys $40.00 to rake it.

  5. #5
    Super Member clem55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Posts
    6,200
    Blog Entries
    6
    Around here it can go from $20 to $50. We pay $40 to have ours done, that includes going over it with a mower and picking up the leaves and bagging, cleaning off sidewalks . Our lot is on a corner, and pretty large, but not huge.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sparta, TN
    Posts
    1,257
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymct
    The same guy helps me out with outdoor projects from time to time and will never quote a price to me for the job. No matter what I say, it is "whatever you think." (this is a second job for him--lawncare stuff).

    Well, I don't know! Now I can't remember what I paid him last time.

    So, I live on a city block. I have a decent sized yard, but I'd say less than an acre for the front and back. There's not much to rake in the front, mainly it's the backyard with the heavy leaves (larger area). I know it takes ME a really long time to rake, but he usually brings another guy or two and does jobs really fast.

    I know this must really vary from area to area, but what seems a reasonable range to you?

    Thanks in advance!!
    My daughter used to do this and she got from $50 for a small yard to $300 for really heavy large yards. One guy insisted she did more work and always gave he $1000.

  7. #7
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,306
    Blog Entries
    1
    if he brings others to help he is probably paying them out of what you are paying him. you should time the process then decide what you think is a reasonable hourly rate. you could always call lawn care places in the phone book and ask what it would cost to come have your yard raked and see what they charge, then you would have an idea of a 'going-rate'

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,718
    Blog Entries
    1
    I say at least $300. Sounds like a big yard. If he hires two guys to help him than it isn't even $10.00 an hour. That is hard physical work.

  9. #9
    Super Member mollymct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    2,348
    Thanks! The feedback is helpful!

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    6,454
    We had some kids come by last year and ask to rake our yard for $. Then they asked to use our leaf blower. We don't have one, so they didn't want the job anymore. Kind of funny, right?

    I have no idea what someone would charge for raking these days, though.

  11. #11
    Super Member redquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    8,133
    TNdonna wrote: [/quote]My daughter used to do this and she got from $50 for a small yard to $300 for really heavy large yards. One guy insisted she did more work and always gave he $1000.[/quote]

    $1000 ! ? ! I'm in shock!

  12. #12
    Super Member mollymct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    2,348
    Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv
    We had some kids come by last year and ask to rake our yard for $. Then they asked to use our leaf blower. We don't have one, so they didn't want the job anymore. Kind of funny, right?

    I have no idea what someone would charge for raking these days, though.
    Ha! Well, the blower won't work on my yard easily. All the leaves have to be carted through the back gate to the street. I've raked a couple of times already--I love being in my yard! But this time of year, it's worth it to me to have those weekend hours free for Christmas preparation and activities.

  13. #13
    twistedsheets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    356
    I am curious how long does it take them to do this 1 or 2 hours. You did not really state the time involved. Tho you did state this is apparently like a side job he does to earn extra money! Or if you are able to pay what a service would charge , possibly because you may be on a fixed income.

  14. #14
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    As long as our girls were living at home raking leaves were their job. DH wouldn't let them mow but raking wasn't a choice, they got out and did it. We have three acres of yard full of trees surrounded by woods. They raked every Sat. all during the fall. We paid them in room and board. LOL. Now that they are grown, the neighbor has his son do our yard for no pay. Says he's a healthy boy that needs to be out in the fresh air doing something productive. DH buys sporting event tickets for the boy and his dad during the year. My DD pays a lawn care guy $65 for a complete yard clean up, she has an average size lot. He comes once a week in the spring, summer and once a month in the fall and winter.

  15. #15
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    20,151
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    As long as our girls were living at home raking leaves were their job. DH wouldn't let them mow but raking wasn't a choice, they got out and did it. We have three acres of yard full of trees surrounded by woods. They raked every Sat. all during the fall. We paid them in room and board. LOL. Now that they are grown, the neighbor has his son do our yard for no pay. Says he's a healthy boy that needs to be out in the fresh air doing something productive. DH buys sporting event tickets for the boy and his dad during the year. My DD pays a lawn care guy $65 for a complete yard clean up, she has an average size lot. He comes once a week in the spring, summer and once a month in the fall and winter.
    for each visit? or on what payment basis?

  16. #16
    Super Member ssgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    2,030
    We paid $70 to have our acre done 6 years ago just after moving in. We have a LOT of trees and the leaves were very thick. They did it with a riding mower, bagging and dumping the leaves out back in the woods.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.