Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much would you pay for this treadle? Need your help.

How much would you pay for this treadle? Need your help.

I like this machine but am not sure if it's worth what she is asking. She apparently wanted it just for the looks of it. She said the man she bought it from said it worked. She's asking $75. I've ask if she'll take any less. It's been for sale for a while now. Thanks for you help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Angie S.

Any ideas???? Would it be a good machine to have? I know nothing about this company.
    Angie S.

Looks like the slide plate is missing. Does it have the shuttle and bobbin? Any accessories?
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

I can't offer an opinion on price, it's so variable depending on where you live etc. The cabinet looks to be in good shape. Factor in if it comes with attachments, bobbins, does it move freely etc. I am not sure, but in the picture it looks like it might be missing part of the throat plate that covers the bobbin. I don't know how easy it is to find a replacement part.
    Hopefully the more knowledgeable members here will soon give you some feedback. Nice looking machine overall.

Me personally would not pay $75, I have learned that other machines will come along. I paid $10 (the lady had it appraised) for a New Home treadle so I have a hard time paying $75 for something.

I have always wondered how much a treadle would be. Thanks for starting this thread.

I'd offer them $50.00 and see what they said. That ensemble is worth that price to me. And in the end it would be in my truk on the way home when I left. Slide plates are findable, as are shuttles and bobbins.
    You never know, they might be in one of the drawers.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    I'd offer them $50.00 and see what they said. That ensemble is worth that price to me. And in the end it would be in my truk on the way home when I left. Slide plates are findable, as are shuttles and bobbins.

Joe
    I so agree!!!

Don't know anything about that particular machine but I think the cabinet alone is worth at least $50.

Looks like the cabinet was refinished. The center drawer is either in wonky, or damaged. See if she has the missing parts, any attachments, and if the needle goes when the wheel is turned. I'd offer $50. Good Luck!

Depends on how bad you want it.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

She has come down to $50 on it. I will ask if it has any pieces that go with it and about the throat plate. Thanks. I knew I could count on you all.
    Angie S.

She has come down to $50 on it. I will ask if it has any pieces that go with it and about the throat plate. Thanks. I knew I could count on you all.
    Angie S.

keep us posted!!!

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post

Joe
    I agree with Joe. That oak cabinet is worth what she is asking but offer her $50.00 You can always up your bid but it's pretty tough to lower it.
    Dance like no one is watching

She is sweet! I'm liking her, but then again, I like the oldies. (My dh keeps saying 'good thing' whenever I say this :-)

she looks pretty good. If you get her for $50, say "Thank you very much" and get out of town.

Let us know how you made out. I think she's cute. Chances are the slide plate is in the drawer. Some of them are tricky.

best,
    d
    My best is the least I can do.

Blog Entries
    The cabinet and the machine both look good. You would be fine paying $50 for it. Hope the other parts are in the drawers, but if not, they are not that hard to find. Let us know how this turns out!!

Blog Entries
    I agree with Joe (J Miller). the front plates are findable, as are shuttles and bobbins for it. The cabinet is not in bad shape from what I've seen, and how mine look in the beginning. $50 is a good starting place, bargain from there if she will. It looks to be nice. Sewing machine oil does wonders for getting machines to run again. They must just need a good drink!!
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

Quote Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
    Me personally would not pay $75, I have learned that other machines will come along. I paid $10 (the lady had it appraised) for a New Home treadle so I have a hard time paying $75 for something.
    Ditto! Sewing machines come up at the auction I go to , and you can get them for $25.

that is what I learned to sew on, when I was a kid. I have fond memeriors of the brunwick treadles. I would offer 50.00.

It's worth what you are willing to pay.

I hate it when people low ball the seller. It's obvious that the seller wants a certain amount, why try and take their bread and milk money?...Just saying, not trying to start anything.

Louise
    I wish to grow into a better person than I am.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3TreeFrog View Post
    It's worth what you are willing to pay.

I hate it when people low ball the seller. It's obvious that the seller wants a certain amount, why try and take their bread and milk money?...Just saying, not trying to start anything.

Louise
    Without starting anything either, antique experts will tell you that a treadle machine in PRISTINE condition and a "standard" treadle cabinet is worth at best $150. None of these machines are particularly rare, they made thousands and in some cases, millions of them. The needles for some of these are more rare than the machines are.
    And in some cases, it's the buyer that is giving up "bread and milk" money rather than the seller.....and there's no reason in the world to pay more than a machine is worth just to be magnanimous.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

I would ask if she would take $40 and work from there. Its beautiful!
    Pam Riggs

Blog Entries
    I have to agree with Charlee on the price issue. Many times, a seller will set a higher price to see if he/she can get it, but still be willing to come down. And I doubt there are many folks out there selling grandma's treadle to feed their babies.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey View Post
    Don't know anything about that particular machine but I think the cabinet alone is worth at least $50.
    That what I was thinking - love those machines

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast