Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand sitiching question... >

Hand sitiching question...

Hand sitiching question...

Old 09-19-2011, 02:34 AM

When hand stitching I hear people doing 8-10 or 10-12 stitches per inch, does that stitch count include the back AND front stitches? I get confused on that.

Also, can you do the rocking motion with a frame? I was told NO but a person at a quilt shop. Just wondering if I need to set up a frame.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:41 AM

Hello Patti...I only hand quilt, I stitch 7 stitches per inch and I rock stitch...I think a lot has to do with the needle you use...I never heard what you noted...
Old 09-19-2011, 03:16 AM

Patti, This is an age-old dilema - I think the Quilt Police came up with it. What matters more than the number of stitches per inch is that your stitches are even. That means that the amount of thread on the surface is the same length as the space between the thread and that both are the same all over the quilt. This will take practice, but you will get the hang of it.

How you achieve this is a matter of peronal preference. Whether or not you set up a frame is your decision. I had one, but I couldn't master the quilting in all directions. I learned using a hoop - 14" diameter, & I am most comfortable using one. This way, you can turn it 360º so that you can quilt all directions the way it's most comfortable for you. Some people quilt without a hoop of frame. They just bunch the quilt up in their hand & stitch. I'm not sure how they manage a large quilt, but they do!

Good luck & happy stitching!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:26 AM

ohh forgot to add, I don't use any frames at all, no matter the size of quilt...my first stitch and last is 7 stitches...and I sew agree with others..just be sure to have your stitches straight lol
Old 09-19-2011, 03:28 AM

i dont use a hoop....i have tried and just dont like the feel of it...i feel i have more control without one
Old 09-19-2011, 03:31 AM

I sew hear you...I even purchased you know that large circle one you sit on and it rotates and can be positioned any way...does not work for me....I don't know how those on frame do it...I think it will be hard to stab...you know what I mean? lol
Old 09-19-2011, 03:39 AM

I've tried with a frame but would rather just do without. If you choose to hand quilt using a frame, just make sure the fabric is loosely in there, with a little give (unlike with embroidery when you want it stretched tight).
Old 09-19-2011, 03:40 AM

When I had that room-size frame, I tried very hard to learn to quilt in all directions, but the one that was the most difficult was away from me and over to the left (northwest direction). I even bought a thimble for my thumb, but I couldn't get the stitches even. I'm best at quilting towards me & down & to the left! That's the natural direction for righties!

Have fun hand quilting. I find it so very relaxing. It's also great for working on in the winter when it's cold. You can drape it all over you & it keeps you warm while you work. I'm quilting my Dear Jane quilt now - or will be when it gets a little cooler!
Old 09-19-2011, 03:45 AM

Thank you ladies. I'm not too worried about the quilt police. This quilt will probably never get close enough to someone else for them to be too critical, lol. I'll just have to practice, practice, practice before I start the actual quilting.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:56 AM

I have been handquilting for 40 years and long ago taught myself to quilt with either hand when using a frame. It took a lot of practice and I am a little slower with the left hand. I was involved in a quilt documentation project in our county about 20 years ago. We brought in experts from the DAR musuem in Washington DC to look over the quilts that were brought to us for the project. They counted the stitches on the front and the back. The size and number of your quilting stitches can be impacted by the type of fabric, the thickness and kind of batting and the thread count of the various materials. For sheer practice nothing beats a wholecloth to improve your stitch. Piecing seams and applique make the quilting stitches harder to be consistant and small.