Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt? >

What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt?

What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt?

Old 08-11-2011, 05:38 PM

Sewing binding on with a machine IS cheaper, and quicker, but don't enter it into any kind of competition. They frown on anything but hand stitching!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:57 PM

The best way to find out is to advertise your services and see if you get any responses. Go for it. There are a lot of people who don't like to do the binding. Same with the quilting of the quilt!
Old 08-11-2011, 07:03 PM

>>> (soneone said)))

Your math is off 50 inches on each side is four feet on each side, so 16 feet plus an extra foot.

Fifteen cents per running foot times 17 runnijng feet... would only be $2.40 for the binding... which would, of course, be ridiculous.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
After seeing and hearing quilters complain about binding, I'm thinking of offering a binding service locally. But, how to figure out the charge?

Per running foot of bound quilt seems like a good place to start. What would you think of 15 cents per running foot? That would be $30 for a 50" by 50" baby quilt. Hmm, seems like too much. Maybe a dime per running foot, which would be $20 for that dimension baby quilt.

Is there any other quilt binding service that anyone knows of?

Thanks for helping me think!
I used to charge 10 cents per inch, but went up to 15 cents per inch and no one complained. I put it on by machine and hand stitch it down on the back...double fold French binding...mitered corners.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by quiltwiz
After seeing and hearing quilters complain about binding, I'm thinking of offering a binding service locally. But, how to figure out the charge?

Per running foot of bound quilt seems like a good place to start. What would you think of 15 cents per running foot? That would be $30 for a 50" by 50" baby quilt. Hmm, seems like too much. Maybe a dime per running foot, which would be $20 for that dimension baby quilt.

I used to charge 10 cents per inch, but went up to 15 cents per inch and no one complained. I put it on by machine and hand stitch it down on the back...double fold French binding...mitered corners.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Quiltwiz, do you cut and seam the binding yourself?

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:36 PM

I charge 15 cents per inch..and that's for sewing on both sides..hand sewing the back side is 25 cents per inch.

I figured yours...and I think you are meaning 15 cents per inch...200" x .15= $30.00

Some charge 30-40 cents per inch for show quilts.
My price does not include the material...just stitching the binding.
Marge

Old 08-11-2011, 08:37 PM

How about calling some local long armers or quilt stores to see what it would cost in your area to bind a quilt? Then you can decide if you are charging to much or to little.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jannie
How about calling some local long armers or quilt stores to see what it would cost in your area to bind a quilt? Then you can decide if you are charging to much or to little.
I think that's a good idea. I'm also going to consult a couple of LQS owners nearby and see what they think. I would anticipate advertising on their bulletin boards.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:59 PM

The quilt shop that quilts my quilts machine binds them for $25.00. I think that is pretty reasonable. Handquilter
Old 08-11-2011, 08:59 PM

The quilt shop that quilts my quilts machine binds them for $25.00. I think that is pretty reasonable. Handquilter