Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt? >

What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt?

What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt?

Old 08-12-2011, 08:51 AM

The going price in our area is $25-35, depending on size, just for doing the hand stitching on the binding.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by gaevren
It would really depend on whether or not you were doing hand-stitching or only machine-binding, I'd think.
I must be weird, 'cos I LOVE the hand stitching part.
Same here
Old 08-12-2011, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Old hen
Sewing binding on with a machine IS cheaper, and quicker, but don't enter it into any kind of competition. They frown on anything but hand stitching!
Guess that answered my question, because I sew mine on by machine and finish by machine, but of course you do see the sititching that way. :-D
Old 08-12-2011, 03:05 PM

I just paid my LAQ $20 to do the hand sewing on a twin size quilt. I am apparently allergic to the needle and hand sewing tears my thumb up so I am stuck paying someone else to do it. I felt the $20 was very reasonable.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign
Sewing binding on with a machine IS cheaper, and quicker, but don't enter it into any kind of competition. They frown on anything but hand stitching!
Guess that answered my question, because I sew mine on by machine and finish by machine, but of course you do see the sititching that way. :-D
Just a comment regarding Old Hen's comment: The judges don't frown specifically on machine stitched bindings. They don't care how the binding is finished as long as it is done well. (FYI--I am on the Colorado Quilt Council Competition Committee i.e. Quilt Judging).
Old 08-12-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ellen 1
Just a comment regarding Old Hen's comment: The judges don't frown specifically on machine stitched bindings. They don't care how the binding is finished as long as it is done well. (FYI--I am on the Colorado Quilt Council Competition Committee).
Agreed. My machine stitched binding on my quilt took first place in the state quilt show last year. :)

I charge 0.06 cents per linear inch when I do machine binding (which is all I do, no hand stitching). So for a 60" x 80" quilt that comes to $16.80. I can do one in about 2 hours, so roughly about minimum wage. But then again, I like doing binding. ;)
Old 08-12-2011, 03:58 PM

.15 an inch to attach

If you attach and roll over and hand stitch that is .25 an inch
Old 08-12-2011, 04:26 PM

I do quilt bindings in our local area and I charge $.15 per running inch if the binding is provided and $.18 per running inch if I have to cut and piece/prepare the binding and then put it on. If there are scallops or unusual binding requests like minkee binding etc. then I charge more per inch. There are several people in our area that do binding work and that is the going rate.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:20 PM

Wow, so many different answers! I'm glad to know, though, that I'm not along in thinking this is a service that some folks would pay for. Now, to put together a plan for advertising, and such.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie
Originally Posted by Ellen 1
Just a comment regarding Old Hen's comment: The judges don't frown specifically on machine stitched bindings. They don't care how the binding is finished as long as it is done well. (FYI--I am on the Colorado Quilt Council Competition Committee).
Agreed. My machine stitched binding on my quilt took first place in the state quilt show last year. :)

I charge 0.06 cents per linear inch when I do machine binding (which is all I do, no hand stitching). So for a 60" x 80" quilt that comes to $16.80. I can do one in about 2 hours, so roughly about minimum wage. But then again, I like doing binding. ;)
Congrats on the first place, I have been sewing for so long that I am able to do a binding that looks better than any store bought quilt, I just take it slow, slow, slow, and I too like to bind, but don't think I would do it for others since Iam a perfectionist, and would be a basket case before finished. :thumbup: