Old 08-13-2011, 07:06 AM
patdesign

Originally Posted by Eddie
Originally Posted by Ellen 1
Originally Posted by patdesign
Originally Posted by Old hen
Sewing binding on with a machine IS cheaper, and quicker, but don't enter it into any kind of competition. They frown on anything but hand stitching!
Guess that answered my question, because I sew mine on by machine and finish by machine, but of course you do see the sititching that way. :-D
Just a comment regarding Old Hen's comment: The judges don't frown specifically on machine stitched bindings. They don't care how the binding is finished as long as it is done well. (FYI--I am on the Colorado Quilt Council Competition Committee).
Agreed. My machine stitched binding on my quilt took first place in the state quilt show last year. :)

I charge 0.06 cents per linear inch when I do machine binding (which is all I do, no hand stitching). So for a 60" x 80" quilt that comes to $16.80. I can do one in about 2 hours, so roughly about minimum wage. But then again, I like doing binding. ;)
Congrats on the first place, I have been sewing for so long that I am able to do a binding that looks better than any store bought quilt, I just take it slow, slow, slow, and I too like to bind, but don't think I would do it for others since Iam a perfectionist, and would be a basket case before finished. :thumbup: