Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt? >

What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt?

What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt?

Old 08-10-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by gaevren
It would really depend on whether or not you were doing hand-stitching or only machine-binding, I'd think.
I must be weird, 'cos I LOVE the hand stitching part.
Mee too! It is the best part of making a quilt-it also means it is DONE!! Love doing binding!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by luvstitches
20 cents an inch with machine stitch on top and hand stitched on the bottom
that is with making the binding too
Thanks, that's what I was looking for!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

i have a couple customers who have arthritis and are no longer able to hand stitch their bindings- they bring the binding made up (the correct length-pressed in half) and when i finish quilting their quilts i square up- add the binding with machine- fold to back and hand stitch- i add $20- $30 for this service depending on the size of the quilt- minimum is $20---if the quilt is queen or king it's $30--i do it for them because i am fairly fast at it- enjoy hand work- and would not feel right charging more- due to their reason for needing me to do it.
they feel it's fair= and once in a while i get a surprise and a little extra thrown in- i never expect that- so it is a nice surprise once in a while
Old 08-10-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i have a couple customers who have arthritis and are no longer able to hand stitch their bindings- they bring the binding made up (the correct length-pressed in half) and when i finish quilting their quilts i square up- add the binding with machine- fold to back and hand stitch- i add $20- $30 for this service depending on the size of the quilt- minimum is $20---if the quilt is queen or king it's $30--i do it for them because i am fairly fast at it- enjoy hand work- and would not feel right charging more- due to their reason for needing me to do it.
they feel it's fair= and once in a while i get a surprise and a little extra thrown in- i never expect that- so it is a nice surprise once in a while
Thanks for the specific info!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:15 PM

I quilt for my sister in law, - quilts that she makes- and I do hand binding for her at $20 an hour. It takes about 2 hours to hand stitch a sofa-sized throw- I think that's fair.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

Not my favorite thing to do but it is part of the process so I would not pay to have anyone else do it for me.

Would you be doing mitered corner double binding, or would you offer different types?
Old 08-10-2011, 12:30 PM

My longarmer's rates for binding are as follows:

making and machine attaching binding (with fabric that you provide) for you to finish: $1.00 per linear foot (length + length + width + width, divided by 12)

making and machine attaching binding (with fabric that you provide) and finishing by hand: $3.00 per linear foot. (that's $50 for a 50x50 quilt)

Rates will depend on location (these are in NH).
Old 08-10-2011, 02:46 PM

All the ads for doing binding is $.15 per inch. They sew it by machine on the front and hand sew it down on the back. That sounds like a fair price to me.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
it costs $5-$10 to have the binding done here.
For a big quilt? A king sized quilt?
Old 08-10-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
Sounds more than fair for special customers.