Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt? >

What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt?

What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt?

Old 08-10-2011, 04:56 PM

probably not more than 30 dollars
Old 08-10-2011, 04:59 PM

I charge .18 per linear inch. Machine stitched to front and hand stitched to back.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:10 PM

I charge 15cents an inch for machine sewing to the front and hand sewing to the back. I do double binding and mitered corners.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

I always look forward to doing the binding. It means the quilt is almost done. We have several people in our guild who volunteer to do the binding after someone else has done the quilting for charity quilts. But... from reading comments on the board from people who hate binding or are intimidated by it, I think you would be able to find people to pay you to do their binding. Just figure out how much time it takes you and decide on a fair fee per hour. Good luck, and let us know how it goes. I understand that more and more LA quilters are adding binding as an optional service.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:11 PM

funny you should ask this, we were just talking in a members pda today that my sister charges me $50-$100 to do bindings for me. Oh and I make the binding and provide the silk thread that she likes to work with!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
Here's what I'm thinking:

Customer would supply the binding fabric, either pre-washed or not, as customer chooses. I would give guidance on the yardage needed for the size of quilt. I would cut the 2.5" strips on the straight grain, do diagonal seams.

Machine stich to front, hand stich to back.

After Googling prices, I think my dime per foot is low.

Any other thoughts?
I think 10 cents per foot is too low. I don't think 15 cents is unreasonable. For the person who hates to do binding, $30 for the quilt you mentioned is a great price. Just my humble opinion. Don't sell yourself short. Your time is worth $$$.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:58 PM

Thanks for all of the thoughts! I would only do straight grain binding, double fold, with mitered corners.

I'm grateful for the specific prices info. I think it's a good idea, if I'm going to begin with a low price, to make clear that it's a special price. Also, I've seen some longarmers give a discount to new customers.

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by AndiR
Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by AndiR
I think you may have figured incorrectly. A 50" x 50" quilt would have a perimeter of 200" which equals 16.7 running feet. At $.15 per running foot you would only make $2.49!! (16.7 x .15).

I charge by the linear inch. If I'm making binding, machine attach to front, hand stitch to back, I charge $.25 per inch. So in the above example I would charge $50. Maybe I'm slow, but it will take me at least a couple of hours, and I won't work for less than minimum wage.

A business needs to consider that the amount the business takes in (the $50) is NOT the amount the 'employee' (you) makes. You need to subtract out overhead like advertising, supplies, self-employment taxes, etc. General rule of thumb is 1/3 to taxes, 1/3 to overhead, 1/3 to yourself.

You can do a big quilt-----by hand--- in two hours? Guess I stop too many times for coffee, the potty, and changing TV channels.
Oh, no, not for a big one!! That was for the size she stated, about 50 x 50. A queen would take me at least 4 hours for the handstitching alone, another 30 - 60 to make, press, attach and trim the quilt - and that's without breaks. By the time you add those in, it's probably 2 or 3 days!! :-)
Thank heavens! I was thinking I was the slowest person on earth. Yep, a simple baby quilt will get done in one evening.
:P Same here. I was thinking that I did my quilt in good time, but after reading that quote I was feeling very slow. Now I feel better. I am not going into business so for me it doesn't matter. Good Luck on whatever you end up doing. BrendaK
Old 08-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Banned

it really depends on what all you will do...
I pay a lady $5.00 per side...no matter how big/small the quilt is...

BUT, I already have the binding attached, she just likes to stitch it down....so it makes her happy, gives her some spending cash and I am FREE to move on and start something else!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:57 AM

Carpal tunnel makes it difficult for me to the hand work. I sew on my binding and pin the corners in place so it is easy to proceed. I have a friend who doesn't mind the handwork and has completed it on a twin size for $20. Otherwise I can only do a short section at a time or in the case of a child's quilt, I stitch it on the machine with a decorative stitch.