Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt? >

What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt?

What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt?

Old 08-11-2011, 05:49 AM

In figuring this charge you would figure the time it takes to do it and the sizze to be done. Since they will supply fabric and you will do the cutting and sewing just figure how much time it takes to do the quilt and charge according to that. If it takes 2 hours start to finish it would be $20 if it took 5 hours that would be $50. I use to do sewing for a living and this is how I set my fees. One basic fee of ??? and per hour sounds fair to me.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:56 AM

I've heard people in my area charge by the inch. I'm not sure how much because I do my own.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:06 AM

My LA charges $25 per hour for binding. She will just attach the binding and I can sew it down in back or she will sew the back down. Because she charges by the hour, there is not math problem to work out the number of inches. I think $25 an hour is reasonable for that type of work.

Given that, I LOVE to do binding--I love to make it, sew it on, and hand stitch the back. For me it is such a nice way to finish a project that I have worked on for awhile. Also, as I give all of my quilts away, it is kind of like saying my final goodbye to the quilt.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
After seeing and hearing quilters complain about binding, I'm thinking of offering a binding service locally. But, how to figure out the charge?

Per running foot of bound quilt seems like a good place to start. What would you think of 15 cents per running foot? That would be $30 for a 50" by 50" baby quilt. Hmm, seems like too much. Maybe a dime per running foot, which would be $20 for that dimension baby quilt.

Is there any other quilt binding service that anyone knows of?

Thanks for helping me think!
A few longarm quilters offer the service, but it's usually about $80 to $100.

Figure out how much time it takes you to cut the binding, sew the strips together, sew the binding on, and then handsew or machine stitch the binding to the back of the quilt. Then figure out how much you want for an hour's work.

If you're doing this to earn money, you should charge accordingly. It takes me about four or five hours to make the binding, sew it on the quilt and hand-sew the binding to the back on a small quilt. A little more depending on the size of the quilt. I'd ask about $10 to $15 an hour for my time. Also, if you make the specialty binding (corded - faux corded, etc.) you should charge more.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:15 AM

Nada, I like hand stitching the binding.....
Old 08-11-2011, 06:18 AM

About 5 years ago the LAQ I knew were charging $30 for a queen and $40 for a king. I guess that is a little low in comparison to todays prices. I guess you charge whatever people are willing to pay and you will soon be able to tell. If your prices are too high you will not have any business.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:20 AM

I LOVE binding!
I would add an aditional charge for
A. making the binding
B. sewing it on
Charging by the inch sounds fair to me.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:28 AM

Leslie, I charge 15 cents a running inch. Square the quilt ,making binding , sewing on with machine then hand sew on back. I am busy with with bindings ,repeat customers.

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
After seeing and hearing quilters complain about binding, I'm thinking of offering a binding service locally. But, how to figure out the charge?

Per running foot of bound quilt seems like a good place to start. What would you think of 15 cents per running foot? That would be $30 for a 50" by 50" baby quilt. Hmm, seems like too much. Maybe a dime per running foot, which would be $20 for that dimension baby quilt.

Is there any other quilt binding service that anyone knows of?

Thanks for helping me think!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by gaevren
It would really depend on whether or not you were doing hand-stitching or only machine-binding, I'd think.
I must be weird, 'cos I LOVE the hand stitching part.
I'm happy to hear you say this because I do, too. Maybe not at first but once I get started it becomes something I don't have to think about & just work my way around. Such a sense of accomplishment when it's finished.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:40 AM

I THINK I must be crazy, but I do my own binding. Sew it on front by machine and by hand on back. It's no big deal to start with a pinned foot and move the pins another foot. It makes a good project while watching TV.

If you need to make some money for your work, think about how long it takes you to do it. I think you said $10 for a crib quilt. That would be about an hours work. Sounds reasonable. I would start with that, keep a time table of sizes.
Single about 2 hours and continue double, queen, king. When you get to King, it would be in the range of $50. Try it, It might work. That is the way I figure it for selling a complete quilt only I use cents not dollars per square inch.