Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt? >

What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt?

What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt?

Old 08-11-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
After seeing and hearing quilters complain about binding, I'm thinking of offering a binding service locally. But, how to figure out the charge?
Thanks for helping me think!
In WI, attaching your pre-made (made by you and ready to attach) and prepared binding by machine will run $.04 to $.06 per perimeter inch (perimeter - or inches around your quilt). Attaching it to the quilt is one step. Then folding over and sewing it down is another step - same ballpark price per perim inch. Hand binding (sewing down the folded finished edge AFTER you have paid to attach the binding to the quilt, runs $.15 to $.20 per perimeter inch. If the binding is done as part of finishing a quilt already on the longarm may cost less, but the hand work will be the same, I would imagine. I just hand sewed down a twin size quilt binding (no attach time, I used an oversize back turned to the front). It took about 6 hours total. It is labor intensive. That is why it costs more...but done well, it will last forever.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:41 AM

In a heartbeat I would pay someone to bind my quilts.
NainciefromWyoming
Old 08-11-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by ksea
funny you should ask this, we were just talking in a members pda today that my sister charges me $50-$100 to do bindings for me. Oh and I make the binding and provide the silk thread that she likes to work with!
Honey, don't you and your sister get along? Has she some unresolved issues stemming from your childhoods?
Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
it costs $5-$10 to have the binding done here.
Where is "here???" I'm sure your local binders will be inundated with work shortly! LOL
Old 08-11-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Aully
I am having a longarm quilter do the quilting part as well as half the binding for $50 (she will do the binding on the top by machine and I will handstitch it on the back) for her to do it all it would be done by hand she charges $120.
Lordy sakes! I should go into this business. That is one part I do not mind doing. I am doing Grandson's binding today as well as putting a hanging sleeve just incase he doesn't want to put it on his bed. Ya, it does take time to make the binding and get it on the quilt and then hand sew it to the back. But not hard to do, just time consuming. Jan
Old 08-11-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by gaevren
It would really depend on whether or not you were doing hand-stitching or only machine-binding, I'd think.
I must be weird, 'cos I LOVE the hand stitching part.

Me, too
Old 08-11-2011, 09:20 AM

Tanks for the discussion, very interesting
Old 08-11-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by gramarraine
About 5 years ago the LAQ I knew were charging $30 for a queen and $40 for a king. I guess that is a little low in comparison to todays prices. I guess you charge whatever people are willing to pay and you will soon be able to tell. If your prices are too high you will not have any business.
What is an LAQ?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Johanna Fritz
After seeing and hearing quilters complain about binding, I'm thinking of offering a binding service locally. But, how to figure out the charge?
In WI, attaching your pre-made (made by you and ready to attach) and prepared binding by machine will run $.04 to $.06 per perimeter inch (perimeter - or inches around your quilt). Attaching it to the quilt is one step. Then folding over and sewing it down is another step - same ballpark price per perim inch. Hand binding (sewing down the folded finished edge AFTER you have paid to attach the binding to the quilt, runs $.15 to $.20 per perimeter inch. If the binding is done as part of finishing a quilt already on the longarm may cost less, but the hand work will be the same, I would imagine. I just hand sewed down a twin size quilt binding (no attach time, I used an oversize back turned to the front). It took about 6 hours total. It is labor intensive. That is why it costs more...but done well, it will last forever.
Thanks for the specific info!

I have two small quilts that will be ready for binding in a few days. I'm going to try to record the time I spend creating the binding, sewing to the front and then hand sewing to the back. Then, knowing the inches done, I'll have a better idea of how the cost vs time works out.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:38 AM

Per running foot of bound quilt seems like a good place to start. What would you think of 15 cents per running foot? That would be $30 for a 50" by 50" baby quilt. Hmm, seems like too much. Maybe a dime per running foot, which would be $20 for that dimension baby quilt.

Is there any other quilt binding service that anyone knows of?

I get 10-12 cents per inch. Includes cutting fabric, pressing strips, and 1 side machine sewn, back side hand stitched.