Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt? >

What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt?

What would you pay to have someone else bind a quilt?

Old 08-10-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by AndiR
I think you may have figured incorrectly. A 50" x 50" quilt would have a perimeter of 200" which equals 16.7 running feet. At $.15 per running foot you would only make $2.49!! (16.7 x .15).

I charge by the linear inch. If I'm making binding, machine attach to front, hand stitch to back, I charge $.25 per inch. So in the above example I would charge $50. Maybe I'm slow, but it will take me at least a couple of hours, and I won't work for less than minimum wage.

A business needs to consider that the amount the business takes in (the $50) is NOT the amount the 'employee' (you) makes. You need to subtract out overhead like advertising, supplies, self-employment taxes, etc. General rule of thumb is 1/3 to taxes, 1/3 to overhead, 1/3 to yourself.

You can do a big quilt-----by hand--- in two hours? Guess I stop too many times for coffee, the potty, and changing TV channels.
...and browsing QB :mrgreen:
My computer is in my junk room---------so QB just puts an end to doing anything. I'm supposed to be making a dress now, anyway.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

At the rate I hand sew - I would earn about $0.50 an hour if I only charged $0.25 per foot

I think the better question to ask YOURSELF is: (and others have said basically the same thing)

What do YOU need to charge to make it worth the effort?

If someone wants it done badly enough, they'll come up with the money.

Sort of like going to a doctor or a lawyer or mechanic or plumber-

One can shop around and get references - but the bottom line is -

One pays what they charge!

Or one goes without.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:09 AM

I think you may have figured incorrectly. A 50" x 50" quilt would have a perimeter of 200" which equals 16.7 running feet. At $.15 per running foot you would only make $2.49!! (16.7 x .15).

I charge by the linear inch. If I'm making binding, machine attach to front, hand stitch to back, I charge $.25 per inch. So in the above example I would charge $50. Maybe I'm slow, but it will take me at least a couple of hours, and I won't work for less than minimum wage.

A business needs to consider that the amount the business takes in (the $50) is NOT the amount the 'employee' (you) makes. You need to subtract out overhead like advertising, supplies, self-employment taxes, etc. General rule of thumb is 1/3 to taxes, 1/3 to overhead, 1/3 to yourself.

You can do a big quilt-----by hand--- in two hours? Guess I stop too many times for coffee, the potty, and changing TV channels.
Oh, no, not for a big one!! That was for the size she stated, about 50 x 50. A queen would take me at least 4 hours for the handstitching alone, another 30 - 60 to make, press, attach and trim the quilt - and that's without breaks. By the time you add those in, it's probably 2 or 3 days!! :-)
Old 08-10-2011, 09:14 AM

Oh, no, not for a big one!! That was for the size she stated, about 50 x 50. A queen would take me at least 4 hours for the handstitching alone, another 30 - 60 to make, press, attach and trim the quilt - and that's without breaks. By the time you add those in, it's probably 2 or 3 days!! :-)
Thank heavens! I was thinking I was the slowest person on earth. Yep, a simple baby quilt will get done in one evening.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:15 AM

BTW, I always machine sew the binding to the back and do the hand stitching on the front. Most of you do the opposite.

But I'm not doing the fantastic quilts most of you are.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:19 AM

it costs $5-$10 to have the binding done here.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
After seeing and hearing quilters complain about binding, I'm thinking of offering a binding service locally. But, how to figure out the charge?

Per running foot of bound quilt seems like a good place to start. What would you think of 15 cents per running foot? That would be $30 for a 50" by 50" baby quilt. Hmm, seems like too much. Maybe a dime per running foot, which would be $20 for that dimension baby quilt.
Sorry, I did mean per inch, seldom use per inch on a quilt, made the correction on my post. Thanks

Is there any other quilt binding service that anyone knows of?

Thanks for helping me think!
The first thing you need to invest in is a math lesson. 50"x 4 sides is 200" divided by 12" per foot is 16 2/3 feet, and rounding that off to 17 feet multiplied by .15 per running foot is ----------------$2.55. The thread and the pot of coffee cost more than that. Don't forget the 3 cents for peroxide to take blood out of that one place you stuck yourself.
Ooops, you are right! Too funny.

I just found 35 cents per inch for full binding service at a place in AZ.
Hey, I'd do full binding at .30 per inch! as long as my pain pills last.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:27 AM

GrannieAnnie, this is a VERY close friend, I think I gave her a cutting mat, a new rotary cutter, a 6 x 24 inch ruler and a few other necessary notions to get her started quilting, I think I probably came out about $30, which is more what it was worth. Plus whenever i find a good deal on quilting supplies, I pick up extra and cut her in on the deal :lol: :lol:
Old 08-10-2011, 10:58 AM

I love the binding as well. It's my sit down and rejoice time...it's almost finished!!! But I am interested, with the problems I've been having w/right wrist, doing it myself may no longer be an option before much longer.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:00 PM

20 cents an inch with machine stitch on top and hand stitched on the bottom
that is with making the binding too