Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is your best tip for a complete beginner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-best-tip-complete-beginner-t235104.html)

Tartan 11-20-2013 05:05 AM

It's only fabric, jump right in. The fabric store will always sell you more.:)

DixieLee 11-20-2013 05:10 AM

I think the 1/4 inch seam allowance is most important. It makes everything else work right. I consider myself a medium beginner and once I got the seam allowance right, everything has been so much better.

Jackie Spencer 11-20-2013 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Chasezzz (Post 6414464)
Precision in your cutting and your scant 1/4" seam will make a world of difference in reducing your stress and making any project go smoother. Find and use tools to make precision easy (non-slip rulers, comfortable rotary cutters, a good 1/4" foot for your machine).

I agree, if you have a good ruler, know how to use your rotary cutter and your 1/4 in. foot, the pieces of your quilt will go together so much easier, and don't get in a hurry.

tessagin 11-20-2013 05:31 AM

Ditto! From here you will be sent in the right direction because of the resources and links. And read this complete post for all the other tips.

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6414440)
my biggest tip would be to join the Quilting Board for the best advice on anything and everything quilty. :)

Holice 11-20-2013 05:43 AM

I like the example of screwing in the lightbulb. I usually give the old story of the 10 blind men describing the elephant. It depends on which side they are standing. There are many ways to quilt. The one element however the one part that does not change is accuracy in each step. Without good cutting skills and piecing the puzzle doesn't fit. It is like baking a cake. You can have all the ingredients but unless the correct portions are used you don't get a good cake. Don't listen to those who say " it's your quilt, you can do whatever you want".

Donnamarie 11-20-2013 05:54 AM

My tips would be: when starting to sew, hold onto the thread for a second so it doesn't get gobbled up in the sewing machine. Cut accurately, sew a scant 1/4" seam, buy a 1/4" foot and a walking foot, they are worth it. Pressing is extremely important (use steam), be sure all seams are pressed really good in one direction (usually to the dark) and do not distort the fabric when ironing, keep it straight. Iron, sew, iron, and relax. This is supposed to be fun so don't beat yourself up if its not perfect, just keep at it. Good luck! Sew peacefully.

GrannieAnnie 11-20-2013 06:33 AM

For a complete beginner? Learn your sewing machine. After that take any advise with a grain of salt. I've read hundreds of "you must do" suggestions that are no where "must do" I don't even agree with a lot of the so called "basics".

Try something, and if it's a pain, modify to suit yourself.

OH, to make a liar out of myself, one thing you MUST DO, buy a seam ripper, because we all need them. Even 50 year veterens.

GrannieAnnie 11-20-2013 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter (Post 6414598)
Take suggestions from other quilters with a grain of salt. :) You would think there is only one way to screw in a light bulb...but ask ten different people how they do it and you'll get ten different answers. :)

Verrrrrrrrrrrrry well said!

GrannieAnnie 11-20-2013 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6414611)
It's only fabric, jump right in. The fabric store will always sell you more.:)

LOL, or friends will donate!

GrannieAnnie 11-20-2013 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 6414666)
I like the example of screwing in the lightbulb. I usually give the old story of the 10 blind men describing the elephant. It depends on which side they are standing. There are many ways to quilt. The one element however the one part that does not change is accuracy in each step. Without good cutting skills and piecing the puzzle doesn't fit. It is like baking a cake. You can have all the ingredients but unless the correct portions are used you don't get a good cake. Don't listen to those who say " it's your quilt, you can do whatever you want".

Remind me why we can't do what we want?