Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is your best tip for a complete beginner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-best-tip-complete-beginner-t235104.html)

GrammaNan 11-20-2013 08:25 AM

My sentiments exactly.

Originally Posted by stillclock (Post 6415013)
when it is done and quilted and keeping you warm, no one - not even you - will see your mistakes. not your scant seams, not your missed points, not that piece you put in backwards. all they will see, and all you will see, is a completed project that shines with all the work and care that went into it.

aileen

cjsews 11-20-2013 08:41 AM

Enjoy what you do. If something is not perfect or to your liking just wait. Someone will think it is the best thing around and love it.

cynicalbeauty 11-20-2013 08:46 AM

When I was starting out I used a lot of pins. I don't need as many now that I have more experienced; but they saved me from a lot of frustration in the beginning.

Lucio 11-20-2013 09:03 AM

Take a beginner class if you can. I had been a garment and home dec sewer for many years but the quilters class opened a whole new world to me. The terminology, equipment, and techniques were all new. It is so beneficial to get the basics under your belt before you venture out on your own.

Jingle 11-20-2013 09:13 AM

Keep your fingers away from the needle.

AngeliaNR 11-20-2013 09:35 AM

Have fun with it--a hobby shouldn't be stressful. :)

sweet 11-20-2013 09:44 AM

One of the first things I did as a beginner was to purchase Eleanor Burn's CD & book on log cabins. I followed her carefully, rewound many times and ended up with a real nice quilt. There are many many ways to make log cabins but El made it easy for me.

susie-susie-susie 11-20-2013 10:19 AM

Everyone has given you great advise. The only thing I would like to add is, sign up for classes at your LQS. That way you will meet other quilters and make a quilt with lots of help.
Sue

Deb727 11-20-2013 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by earlylace (Post 6414877)
I would not be able to sew in a straight line if it wasn't for the 1.4" foot, I also failed cutting paper in a straight line in 1st grade, still can't cut straight!

I took Art for 4 years in high school, and still can't draw stick people, lol. That's why I am enjoying quilting so much, all I have to worry with are colors and lines. It's giving me such a creative outlet that I've never had.

mckwilter 11-20-2013 10:30 AM

Don't be afraid to try something new. And if you don't like it, wait a year or so and try it again. Sometimes a technique is more advanced than we are ready for, but once we've got a little experience, our attitude changes. And don't be afraid to screw things up. Like several have said, it's only fabric; the stores will sell you more; and there's no shame in having one or more seam rippers. And have fun. This is supposed to be relaxing. If it stresses you out, it's not the right hobby for you.