Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is your favorite binding tool? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-favorite-binding-tool-t61079.html)

Kellie G 08-24-2010 03:58 AM

I have done my bindings without any kind of tool for years. I am wondering if my quilting life would be improved by purchasing some sort of binding tool and if so, which is your favorite and why? Does the tool help with mitering, connecting the tails together (this is where I have the most difficult time) at the beginning and end, or some other function?

brushandthimble 08-24-2010 04:02 AM

I don't use any special tool, just a couple of pins, small ruler and marking pencil. I get perfect corners every time and you can not tell where I started and ended, it looks just like any joining of strips. I will be giving a class in a few week, I will make a tutorial while preparing my samples for the class if anyone is interested.

ann

sahm4605 08-24-2010 04:03 AM

I had to re due a connection three times. first time had a twist in it, second was too long. then the third time it fit, but was just 1/8th" too long. gave up at that point. I only use safety pins an iron and needle and thread to hand sew the back on my binding.

JJs 08-24-2010 04:04 AM

an iron

grann of 6 08-24-2010 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Kellie G
I have done my bindings without any kind of tool for years. I am wondering if my quilting life would be improved by purchasing some sort of binding tool and if so, which is your favorite and why? Does the tool help with mitering, connecting the tails together (this is where I have the most difficult time) at the beginning and end, or some other function?

It depends on what part of binding you are talking about. I love my mitering tool for corners (as in another post) and when it comes to joining I just use my iron, one pin and complete attention to what I am doing.

Kellie G 08-24-2010 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I don't use any special tool, just a couple of pins, small ruler and marking pencil. I get perfect corners every time and you can not tell where I started and ended, it looks just like any joining of strips. I will be giving a class in a few week, I will make a tutorial while preparing my samples for the class if anyone is interested.

ann

Would love to see a tute on your technique :-D :-D

Tinabodina 08-24-2010 04:57 AM

The iron. Could not do it without! :thumbup:

justwannaquilt 08-24-2010 05:02 AM

My sewing machine! Oh and a extra fine pin for marking my 1/4" at ever corner!

raptureready 08-24-2010 05:13 AM

Sewing machine, iron and ruler for the joining. When I get to the point that I need to join the two end together I overlab them, mark (from the end of the one underneath) a point that is the exact same length as the binding is wide, cut the top on at that line, then I just open them up, sew corner to opposite corner (/) trim and voila! Close enough to perfect every time. Then I sew the other side on by hand.

CoyoteQuilts 08-24-2010 05:46 AM

Fons and Porter binding ruler..... just for the joining. I just can not get my head around joining the binding so that you can not tell where you 'ended' so I broke down and bought F&P ruler. Sometimes I sew it twisted even then :oops:! I can not have my quilt positioned the same as the picture on the instruction card, I have to have it turn around and I get it right every time.

This the only F&P item that I have!