Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is your favorite pattern for 5" charm squares ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-favorite-pattern-5-charm-squares-t217128.html)

auntpiggylpn 03-23-2013 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 5949347)
Have you tried making a Twister quilt? I am making my first one, so can't say much yet. But it takes 5 inch blocks then you cut it once everything is sewn together.

That's a great idea! I forget that I have the twister tool!

trennag 03-23-2013 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a bunch of friends having babies this year I love the DP9 patch with charm packs. Sometimes I add a solid that matches that pack for the middle square.[ATTACH=CONFIG]403847[/ATTACH]

quiltingcandy 03-23-2013 07:22 PM

And they make great "I Spy" quilts if you have a lot with a certain subject. Or there is Around the World, it takes a specialized charm pack - but you can use any size block you like. And I happen to be very found of patchwork quilts - where you just sew them together randomly.

Maggiem 03-23-2013 07:58 PM

I love 5" charms because there are so many things you can do with them.

You can make a 10-Minute block quilt with them, or simply put them into rows in a happy arrangement and sash them, with cornerstones made of 2.5" squares, or pair each one with a solid (like Snow again) and make any number of HST designs.

I'm in the middle of a snowball quilt, in blues, with Moda Snow for the corners.

Have fun!

Patchwork Pam 03-23-2013 08:30 PM

Pat Speth has at least 2 great books on Nickel Quilts. When I goggled nickel quilts I got lots of free quilt sites for 5 in. squares. Gonna have to go back to goggle now and check it out some more..................................lol

armywife 03-23-2013 10:51 PM

Tumbler quit-- Missouri Star sells a template for 5 inch charm squares

Tropical 03-23-2013 11:34 PM

My favorite square right now for five inch squares is the Broken Dishes pattern. It is a lot of cutting and sewing, but it make a great quilt top. I am doing a baby quilt with six inch squares. It is turning out great. I decided to use six inch squares this time because I wanted the top to turn out a bit larger. I followed MSQC tutorial and really like it. :):):)

donac 03-24-2013 01:03 AM

I agree with the DP9P I would keep the corner squares on value, the center the same material and the other 4(north, south, east and west squares) with another value. I did this last year and loved the look. It looked like you had added borders and corner squares with very little wotk

toolazy 03-24-2013 03:52 AM

I did as Maggiem said with my 6" squares -- laid them out in rows and moved them around until I liked how they looked, then stacked 'em up and sewed. I think it depends on the nature of the fabrics and how hard you want to work LOL. Mine were from a bright, large-print, funky line (George Mendoza "Wise Tree") and I just wanted something to brighten up my very dull living room.

gspsplease 03-24-2013 04:39 AM

Have you looked at the Missouri Star Quilts videos to make a very easy pinwheel? I have used their method for 3 quilts and I love it-- so easy with charm packs. Basically you put 2 squares face together and sew around all 4 sides, then turn it on the diagonal and cut from top corner to bottom and side to side. Open up and you have the pinwheel half made -- just sew the 4 pieces together. (And there's also a very easy Broken Dishes using the same method but sewing the 4 pieces together in a different way--can't wait to try that.)