Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite pattern for 5" charm squares ?

What is your favorite pattern for 5" charm squares ?

Last year I started buying charm squares ! Now I have a huge amount of them and even though I do have several books, I guess they aren't my favorites. I really dislike getting a quilting book for charm squares and then they tell me to cut off an inch or so to make the block. I am also not really crazy about cutting them into fourths so that I have to sew 2.5 inch squares together. I have lovely books that I can make my jelly row strips or fat quarters into quilts, but I think there aren't really good books for 5" squares. Please tell me I am wrong !! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

DP9 patch would work great! Use the least liked piece as the center square

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Up North View Post
    DP9 patch would work great! Use the least liked piece as the center square
    I agree, that is a great use of charm squares.
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

There are also lots of possibilities with HST's if you like making them.

No. California. The foothills of the Sierras.
    I agree with the above posts. I have been cutting left over fabric into 5" squares so I can make the D9P. Still want more squares. Will add a solid/tone on tone fabric to the 9-patch. What ever you decide, have fun with it. After all, you have been collecting for a year. Enjoy
    Sue
    Face the sun and keep your shadow at your back.
    And it never hurts to keep an angel on your shoulder.

Snowball blocks are fun and easy - keep the charms at 5" and snowball the corners - also - dresden plate - you can get two blades per charm. Check out missouri star quilt co - they have lots of tutorials with pre-cuts and also check out moda bake shop - you will find alot of charm square patterns.

Thanks for the suggestions, I never thought a D9P would work with 5" charm squares, I thought they had to be smaller. I will check them out and also check out the moda bake shop, never thought of them. Most of my charm squares were bought at Missouri Star, had to quit that daily deal !

the best D9p ive seen was 8 inch squares using a big bold floral in the 4 corners a small print in between and a solid colour in the middle --ive used 6 1/2 x6 1/2 sucsessfully ----5x5 would look fine but i suggest
    you keep the center square the same fabric as this will show the pattern well

Blog Entries
    I'm a snowball and HST kind of gal! check out http://www.modabakeshop.com/p/recipes.html There are hundreds of patterns using the pre cuts. Any pattern that calls for a layer cake to be cut up can be made using a charm pack (4 charm packs = 1 layer cake)
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Have you tried making a Twister quilt? I am making my first one, so can't say much yet. But it takes 5 inch blocks then you cut it once everything is sewn together.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    Have you tried making a Twister quilt? I am making my first one, so can't say much yet. But it takes 5 inch blocks then you cut it once everything is sewn together.
    That's a great idea! I forget that I have the twister tool!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I have a bunch of friends having babies this year I love the DP9 patch with charm packs. Sometimes I add a solid that matches that pack for the middle square.Name:  IMAG2148-1.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  610.5 KB
    Brother SQ9000, Baby Lock Crescendo

Slowly but surely restoring these lovely machines...
    Singer 66 (1929) Singer 27 treadle (1909) Singer 99 (1925)

And they make great "I Spy" quilts if you have a lot with a certain subject. Or there is Around the World, it takes a specialized charm pack - but you can use any size block you like. And I happen to be very found of patchwork quilts - where you just sew them together randomly.

I love 5" charms because there are so many things you can do with them.

You can make a 10-Minute block quilt with them, or simply put them into rows in a happy arrangement and sash them, with cornerstones made of 2.5" squares, or pair each one with a solid (like Snow again) and make any number of HST designs.

I'm in the middle of a snowball quilt, in blues, with Moda Snow for the corners.

Have fun!
    Maggie in Jerusalem
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/maggiemwdesigns

Pat Speth has at least 2 great books on Nickel Quilts. When I goggled nickel quilts I got lots of free quilt sites for 5 in. squares. Gonna have to go back to goggle now and check it out some more..................................lol

Tumbler quit-- Missouri Star sells a template for 5 inch charm squares

Blog Entries
    My favorite square right now for five inch squares is the Broken Dishes pattern. It is a lot of cutting and sewing, but it make a great quilt top. I am doing a baby quilt with six inch squares. It is turning out great. I decided to use six inch squares this time because I wanted the top to turn out a bit larger. I followed MSQC tutorial and really like it.

I agree with the DP9P I would keep the corner squares on value, the center the same material and the other 4(north, south, east and west squares) with another value. I did this last year and loved the look. It looked like you had added borders and corner squares with very little wotk

I did as Maggiem said with my 6" squares -- laid them out in rows and moved them around until I liked how they looked, then stacked 'em up and sewed. I think it depends on the nature of the fabrics and how hard you want to work LOL. Mine were from a bright, large-print, funky line (George Mendoza "Wise Tree") and I just wanted something to brighten up my very dull living room.

Have you looked at the Missouri Star Quilts videos to make a very easy pinwheel? I have used their method for 3 quilts and I love it-- so easy with charm packs. Basically you put 2 squares face together and sew around all 4 sides, then turn it on the diagonal and cut from top corner to bottom and side to side. Open up and you have the pinwheel half made -- just sew the 4 pieces together. (And there's also a very easy Broken Dishes using the same method but sewing the 4 pieces together in a different way--can't wait to try that.)

I like trennag's bluesy quilt! Another pattern that uses just squares is flying squares.

I don't think you have to do a lot of cutting to make a neat quilt. I just noticed that one of my mom's quilts has a giant star block (Kansas star, maybe?) as the center medallion -- the square pieces are 5"-6" so the whole thing is easily 2 feet square.

Here is my "just lay 'em out and sew 'em together" quilt:

Name:  wildquilt1_cpr.JPG
Views: 762
Size:  554.4 KB

D9P would be my choice, love the options for layout.
    Quilt outside of the box!

You all have some great ideas here.

Blog Entries
    the 3D pinwheel, it goes together fast and is so pretty
    Judy

This is a pattern I found that I am using up some of my charm squares on...kind of like a snowball block, but with only 2 opposite corners with triangles instead of 4, and then sashing in-between.

http://www.abrightcorner.com/2012/06...t-pattern.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast