Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Is Your Favorite Scrap Quilt Pattern? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-favorite-scrap-quilt-pattern-t208837.html)

quilttiger 12-21-2012 04:16 AM

Love the quilt in the first post....gorgeous. Another good web site to check out is MaryQuilts.com. The patterns are free for downloading and they are great for scraps, too. I love Quiltville.com as well. I've used a few of the patterns for Quilts of Valor.

Dodie 12-21-2012 04:34 AM

I love all scrappy quilts with my favorite being a controled sampler

ayellowrose 12-21-2012 04:39 AM

I love the "Sunny Lanes" pattern.

karenpatrick 12-21-2012 04:53 AM

About any pattern can be made scrappy. Not all but most. My favorite one to make is a scrappy log pattern. Great way to use up scraps.

MargeD 12-21-2012 06:24 AM

I think that's a beautiful scrap quilt. Sometimes I have trouble trying to be too matchy matchy, but I'm getting better. I make a family reunion quilt every 2 years, and although I pick a color, I have to use what I'm sent, so it winds up being a scrappy quilt, but it teaches me to go beyond my comfort zone. It's nice to step out of the box once in a while.

maviskw 12-21-2012 06:29 AM

I have done several quilts like this with a variety of blocks. The last three I put a "frame" around each block in a color that coordinates with the block, and then put the sashing between. Each block looks like a quilt in itself. I named one "Quilt Show".

jbj137 12-21-2012 06:34 AM

That is a very pretty quilt.
Make another like it.

GramMER 12-21-2012 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ps 150 (Post 5730014)
I'm not normally a huge scrap quilt fan, but I do like them now and then. I made one scrappy quilt before, pictured below, but I haven't ventured into it, since. I think I need to make a few, though. I've been throwing all of my scraps into a tote bin for a while, now, but it's needing to be emptied. So, what are some of your favorite patterns for scrap quilts? I know about log cabins and crazy quilts, but are there any other ones?

In my opinion, the single, double or triple Irish Chains are the best ever. I am working on a triple Iriah Chain with the white blocks being embroidered with Sunbonnet Sue--really special for a granddaughter.

justme CA 12-21-2012 09:33 AM

My favorite is the Depression Block which uses half square triangles each light and dark of any fabrics. i made one and it was pleasing to me. I got the block on line and it's easy and certainly uses up scraps.

squires1042 12-21-2012 09:59 AM

Any quilt can become a scrappy, but we use the string, nine patch variations for a lot of our charity quilts. My favorite though is to take a bin of squares, at least 2 1/2 inches in size and just start sewing them together. The only time I allow myself to color match is if the two squares that i am sewing togther are the same color. I start with twos that become fours, that become 8's to 16's, then I start putting the squares together. I have also used a panel that has several various size blocks in it that I cut apart and added borders to make them divideable with the size squares that I have used and placed them randomly in the quilt.