Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Is Your Favorite Size Quilt To Make From Start To Finish? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-favorite-size-quilt-make-start-finish-t281650.html)

IrishgalfromNJ 08-25-2016 06:19 PM

What Is Your Favorite Size Quilt To Make From Start To Finish?

I make lap quilts, my quilts measure 65" to 70" in width to as long as 87" in length. I quilt them on my domestic machine and I don't think I could quilt anything larger without cursing. I was just curious what size quilts other folks like to make.

MadQuilter 08-25-2016 06:27 PM

It's funny to me when someone asks me how large the quilt-in-process is going to be. As if I know. I can tell the size when it's done, lol. Most of mine have been lap size ~70x84-ish. Some have been smaller such as the one I just finished for my mom (56 square) and some are bigger (lots bigger) but then they are not finished. The thought of maneuvering those beasties under the needle is a bit daunting.

QuiltnLady1 08-25-2016 08:18 PM

Ditto Madquilter. I talk to my quilts and they tell me when they are done. Sometimes I argue and make them the larger size that I had planned to make and I am not nearly as happy with them. For MIL I made several wheel chair quilts (she dictated the size 38x36). I have made a lot of 60-75 by 80-90 that went to charity, and a lot of kid quilts avout 54" square. I have not quilted the larger tops -- I think they will go to a long arm quilter since I don't think I can wrestle them on my DMS.

bearisgray 08-26-2016 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ (Post 7636645)
I make lap quilts, my quilts measure 65" to 70" in width to as long as 87" in length. I quilt them on my domestic machine and I don't think I could quilt anything larger without cursing. I was just curious what size quilts other folks like to make.

I think that is my favorite size range, too. Although I call that size "couch quilts" instead of "lap quilts." LOL

They are plenty big enough to cover most people from head to toe - and still be "manageable" They are also plenty big to be used on a single, double, or queen size bed (for a cover and extra warmth)

ManiacQuilter2 08-26-2016 03:24 AM

I mostly make lap quilts for foster kids so they are usually around 55" x 65".

Onebyone 08-26-2016 05:19 AM

I like double bed size. It is the perfect size for extra cover, throws, hanging, and easy to hold up for show and tell.

Jeanne S 08-26-2016 08:28 AM

I usually make couch/throw size too, 60x80 or so. Anything larger goes to my longarmer!

toverly 08-26-2016 10:20 AM

I call mine "throw size" I like about 54 x 72 but that size varies by about 6 inches due to the pattern.

ckcowl 08-26-2016 11:23 AM

Queen sized is my standard quilt, once in a while I make a king ( special request/need) even less often I make smaller quilts - when someone wants/ needs something smaller. Even though baby / kids quilts always turn out adorable they are my least favorite to make.

Doggramma 08-26-2016 12:44 PM

I stick to about 40x60 maybe up to 50x70. Anything bigger is too much to handle even on my sitdown quilting machine.