Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is your opinion of the quilt fabric from Walmart? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-opinion-quilt-fabric-walmart-t228058.html)

lscho4jm 08-17-2013 07:43 PM

You can get 1st quality at many places, to include Wal-Mart. Paying more does not mean better quality. The exact, same 1st quality going to Wal-Mart is going to quilt shops. It would be great training for new quilters to learn to discern between the grades and not feel insulted for paying less.

Just Fabric 08-17-2013 08:31 PM

I use walmart fabric for everything, quilts, totes, purses, I think its fine.

Just Fabric 08-17-2013 08:36 PM

Theres good an bad fabric at any place you can purchase it. Walmart's as good as other places and if you can get it for $4.44 or I even $5. something now, its still better than the fabric that costs $9.00 or better.

IBQUILTIN 08-18-2013 07:24 PM

I think it is a matter of opinion. I have found some very nice fabrics at Walmart, and I have found some lesser quality fabrics at my LQS, You just have to check it closely

krissr 08-19-2013 10:42 AM

I agree that Wal-Mart fabric is getting better. Just keep in mind are you working on a future antique or a lovable quilt?

G'ma Kay 08-19-2013 06:13 PM

I have bought some wonderful fabric at WalMart for only $1 a yard. Just like anywhere, you have to touch it to know what you're getting.

mattsmom1204 08-19-2013 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom (Post 6236657)
I make all kids quilts with fabric from Walmart or novelty prints from JoAnn's and Hancock Fabrics. The quilts will end up being dragged around and leaked on. When they wear out it is usually time for a more mature print anyway. Not everything has to last forever; only long enough to bring some joy.

My sentiments exactly, Im making charity quilts for Project Linus, a child doesn't know Walmart, Joann's, etc. from LQS.( and neither do most people, wink wink). They do know that you put your heart into every stitch. Im not making contest entries, Im using my time and talent to comfort someone in a their time of need or celebrate the joys of life. And end the end isnt that worth more than the price of the fabric?

TrueColors 09-27-2013 05:02 AM

I buy from Walmart, Hancock, and we just got a JoAnns. I saw the same fabric at Hancock & JoAnns that I bought from Walmart, and instead of $4.99 yard, it was $9.00 yd. In our city, a lot of the better fabric stores went out of business, and we still have small quilt shops usually associated with a Sewing Machine Dealer. I've been sewing all my life, (I'm 53) and remember when all fabric was pretty much the same on the back as the front. So now, the newer stuff seems lower quality although the price is way up. A lot of fabric, you are paying for the designers name attached to it. But you still, as everyone has said, need to feel and look at the weight etc. Some fabric is starched down to make it seem thicker. As Mitch's Mom said - consider who your making it for. I'd rather someone cuddle on it and wear it out, then it sit in a closet shelf.