Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your opinion of the quilt fabric from Walmart?

What is your opinion of the quilt fabric from Walmart?

They have some pretty patterns, just wondering what the quality is like. Has anyone used theirs?

Blog Entries
    I have found that most of Walmart's fabric is fine. Some of it is thin, but then again I bought some at a LQS and not only was it expensive, but also thin. So I learned that no matter where I buy it from that I have to pay attention to what I'm buying. I have noticed that a lot of what Walmart is getting in now is a lot nicer than in the past.
    ~Charlotte~
    This is the day that the Lord hath made, we will rejoice and be glad in it.

I have used some for doll quilts that the guild I belong to supports Head Start in our area. If I was making a keepsake quilt I don't believe I would use it. Great fabric is thick and soft. WalMart's fabric is really not the best fabric but if you are on a limited budget it would be fine. If you really want long wear and wash quilt I don't know that I would want to put a lot of time and work into something that might not last as long. Everyone has their own opinion. It is true that a lot of their fabric looks like others that cost more else where. Just my opinion.

Blog Entries
    One way to figure this out....take a section of the fabric...hold it up to the light...see how closely the piece is woven. Take said piece and slide the surface against the sensitive side of your fingers to see how smooth it feels. Do this to many pieces of fabric in all sorts of stores..quilt stores,Walmart ,Jo Ann's. generally the better quality fabric is smooth to touch and tightly woven..I generally quilt with the best quality I can find that fits in my budget. I spend lots of hours and energy units on my projects,so I justify purchasing the more expensive,higher quality stuff. However, you can find great fabric for low cost at second hand type stores and garage sales.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

When they brought the fabric dept back to our WalMart they brought in a better quality. Just have to watch what you buy just like at JoAnn's.

We do not have a LQS within about 20 miles of our town so our Walmart sometimes has a good selection of fabric by the yard as well as a good selection of fat quarters. However, when buying yardage, I do pay attention to what I'm buying as some of the fabric is of a lighter weight than I like to use for quilting.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

I have made one quilt with Wal-mart fabric. Bought the fabric 9 1/2 years ago when I didn't even know such a thing as quilt shops exsisted. It took me 4 years to get the quilt finished, so it has now been in use for 5 1/2 years on my DD's bed. She sleeps with it every night and it has had several washings and is still holding up well. I don't know that it would last 100 years or anything, but I didn't make it to last 100 years, I made it so my DD would have a cute, warm blanket lovingly made by mom to sleep with at night. I think it works well enough. If I saw some quitling fabric at Walmart that I just loved I wouldn't mind using it again.

I shop there for fabric all the time. I have had no problems,,,,,,so far!

Blog Entries
    some of it is ok- some not so much; I was taught a long time ago to buy the best you can afford for what ever you are buying. if walmart is what is available- and is what is within your budget then by all means- buy your fabric there. with time and experience you will learn (by look and touch) differences in fabrics and find what you like/want to work with. don't stress over where it comes from- great fabrics can be found at Goodwill too! just buy the best you can find, afford, like.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I make all kids quilts with fabric from Walmart or novelty prints from JoAnn's and Hancock Fabrics. The quilts will end up being dragged around and leaked on. When they wear out it is usually time for a more mature print anyway. Not everything has to last forever; only long enough to bring some joy.

If it suits my purpose, I don't care what store the fabric comes from. However, I have found there are certain brands of fabric that are my favorite and those brands are normally only at the local LQS. I have purchased fabric from Walmart, JoAnn's, Connecting Threads, fabric.com and almost every LQS I've ever been in. I'm a sucker for beautiful fabric.

I think you can get good fabric wherever you go. You just have to look at it very good. I also shop for the best bargain at the best price and still get get good quality.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I get a lot of fabric from WAlmart. Atleast their thinner fabric is less expensive than the LQS. It doesn't matter where I'm at if I like the fabric and can pay for it, I get it. Doesn't always have to be on sale. I save money though when I go to estate sales and thrift shops.

Wish our walmart had fabric!!!!!

They might even carry name brand fabric - just be aware it will be made to Walmart specifications - which may mean not as many dye runs, or a lower quality of griege goods. I agree with ckcowl - buy the best YOU can afford.

Since the majority of quilts I make these days are for Linus it is only sensible for me to shop at Walmart and Joanns. I couldn't afford to produce at least 20 Linus quilts a month if they were made from $14.95 a yard and above fabrics from a QS. I have discovered that the majority of persons who are not quilters have no clue how to care for a quilt. I expect that most of the children who receive one of my Linus quilts will wear it out dragging it around until they out grow it. Their mothers or caretakers will also have to launder it frequently.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have not only used Walmart fabric in my quilts but I made curtains and Pillow cases with the fabric. These have now been in use for many years and they have stood up to the wear and tear of life. (Not that I tear at my curtains). We all do what we can and if that's what you need to use go for it. I get what I can afford. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Walmart fabric is ok. Just watch how thin it is. I fell in LOVE with a fabric there; however when I picked it up and opened it just a little, I could see my hand through the fabric, it was that thin. It was also very rough and scratchy. Then there are others that are so soft and ar tightly woven. Good luck!!!

I use Walmart fabrics all the time. Like others have said, you can get great fabrics there and you can get some pretty thin ones. I was just there yesterday for some interfacing and found 4 bolts of fake suede in beautiful colors for $10/yd. I thought that was a very good price/quality, although not something I would use for a quilt. I can't normally afford LQS prices and JoAnn's is an hours drive.....so Walmart is my "goto" fabric shop!

I used to buy a lot of my fabric, from WalMart, mostly searching out the V.I.P. by Cranston brand. Lately, it seems our two closest WalMarts stock mostly a choice of very flimsy, cheap fabric or higher priced "good" fabric. I don't want the flimsy fabric and I find Hobby Lobby has a better price, for the "good" fabric. However, I do like WalMart's Super Flannel, when I can find it; it's heavier than the regular stuff.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    At all the Walmarts I've been to in AR since the fabric dept came back, the quilting cotton fabric is $6 - $8 a yard and quilt shop quality. The cotton craft fabric, character prints, etc is $3 - $4 a yard. I buy all my muslin, fusibles, no scrim batting, Warm and Natural white batting, insulbrite, Pellon, and interfacing at Walmart. I haven't found it cheaper anywhere else unless on clearance.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Whether Joann, Beverly's, or Walmart, I check the quality and if it is good, the pattern/color is what I need, and the price is right I get it.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I buy fabric that I like where ever I find it. I have been sewing long enough to know my fabrics and I inspect it good before I buy from anywhere except that I order. I have found a lot of good fabric at Walmart, however They have some that I would not buy. I picked up some last week that was so pretty but the weave was so loose that you could see light through it. I did not buy it. At the one I use there is never anyone there to cut so last week I found a store manager and filed a complaint. That store was one that fought bringing fabric back. I ask him how the fabric was chosen for each store and he said the manager for fabric and crafts department chose the fabric. She does not have the best of taste in quilting fabrics but has a lot of good fabric for children. I told him I knew they did not want the fabric department but if they have it they need someone to cut it. I have seen people that had to wait so long they put it back and left. I think they want that so they can say they do not sell enough to keep it.

Power Poster
    One of the 'thinnest' fabrics I bought was a Nancy Crow purchased at a LQS. It's fairly tightly woven, but it does not have the 'hefty' feel of - say, a Northcott.

Some people prefer the heftier feel - Usually the heftier feeling ones have fewer threads per square inch. Some prefer a smoother, more tightly woven feel.

There really is no substitute for experience when it comes to buying fabrics.

Some of the thinnest, most see-through cotton fabric was the most expensive - it was a cotton batiste purchased for a christening gown. It was, however, fairly tightly woven.

I can't say about the current lines of fabrics at WalMart OR LQS OR JoAnn fabrics - I haven't bought any fabric from ANY of them for about a year.

I do haunt garage sales, though! The pickings have been very slim.

The bottom line is that the better the quality, the more expensive it is to manufacture. A manufacturer may print the same pattern on different quality fabric to be sold to different retailers. I love the feel of a high quality cotton (which is why I don't like to use starch) and I also like to support my local quilt stores. They provide more than just fabric and I like to help them stay in business. But I don't always need a high quality fabric, so I shop wherever I can get the fabric that I need for a project.
    Penny

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast