Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is your standard binding width? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-standard-binding-width-t182712.html)

BarbaraSue 03-15-2012 07:52 AM

I'm a renigade on this one. I don't like wide bindings. So 2" in the max I cut. Sometimes I use 1 3/4". The lowest I use is 1 1/2". I do fold it in half, sew to edges, trim the back and batting, and turn to the back and stitch down. My bindings are full, and not flat. But on small wall hangings, a small binding is best IMHO.

linhawk 03-15-2012 08:08 AM

I like to do the same as jcrow. It's like a flange.

grammysharon 03-15-2012 08:16 AM

I do two inches if I am using standard loft binding so the binding is filled to the edge. Just me!!!

MadQuilter 03-15-2012 08:17 AM

2 1/4 and I machine-sew it to the front. I use the method in my tutorial (double-mitered binding) and then pull to the back and hand-sew the back binding using a basic slip stitch.

IAmCatOwned 03-15-2012 08:27 AM

Wallhangings: 2 to 2 1/4
Quilted Bed Quilts: 2 1/2 inches
Tied Bed Quilts: 2 3/4 inches

nanzone 03-15-2012 08:34 AM

I always hand stitch on the back but I use 2" width since I don't like to have any "empty" spaces in my binding - it fits nice and tight.

denveremerson 03-15-2012 09:21 AM

[QUOTE=jcrow;5058473]I found a new way of machine sewing your binding. You use two different fabrics. Usually one matches the back or the outer border and the other is a different color altogether. You cut the same fabric as the back or border, 1 1/2" wide and sew it end to end to be long enough for the quilt and then you cut the different color (usually something bright or fancy) 2" wide and sew it also end to end. Then you sew them together, RST. Then you fold them WST and iron. You make sure the 1 1/2" is laying against the back when you sew it on. The colorful one is facing you when you sew it to the back. Then when you turn it to the front, you have the back (or border) fabric facing you with the colorful fabric sticking out 1/4". Then you sew between the two fabrics, on the sew line. It looks wonderful.[/

denveremerson 03-15-2012 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5058473)
I found a new way of machine sewing your binding. You use two different fabrics. Usually one matches the back or the outer border and the other is a different color altogether. You cut the same fabric as the back or border, 1 1/2" wide and sew it end to end to be long enough for the quilt and then you cut the different color (usually something bright or fancy) 2" wide and sew it also end to end. Then you sew them together, RST. Then you fold them WST and iron. You make sure the 1 1/2" is laying against the back when you sew it on. The colorful one is facing you when you sew it to the back. Then when you turn it to the front, you have the back (or border) fabric facing you with the colorful fabric sticking out 1/4". Then you sew between the two fabrics, on the sew line. It looks wonderful.

I LOVE your idea!! Can't wait to try it.

Iamquilter 03-15-2012 10:20 AM

Binding width

I mostly use 2 1/2 "

solstice3 03-15-2012 11:06 AM

2 1/2 sewn on hte front and handstitched to the back