Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-very-first-sewing-machine-how-old-were-you-t105148.html)

Michellesews 03-05-2011 07:28 AM

Mine was the original, gray, Singer Touch and Sew. I was 12. It came with a free course from Singer. My mother bought it for me, although she did not sew, she had watched me hand sew with Barbie patterns. It was the beginning of my life, as I cannot even imagine not sewing....it would be like not breathing! I kept that machine until I was due to have my second child and I traded it in on the Athena by Singer. I won't continue on because I am ashamed of how many machines I have had, and do have....but I love them all.
Michelle G.
El Paso, Texas

ctack2 03-05-2011 07:30 AM

Mine was also a Singer, but don't remember the model. It was in the late 60s and I was about 12 or 13. I remember making matching outfits for my little sisters with it.

Deb watkins 03-05-2011 07:31 AM

Mine was a treadle singer and I was 9.

sandraa 03-05-2011 07:32 AM

My dad bought me a Sears machine when I was 12. I used that one for 14 years and then gave to my SIL.

mimisharon 03-05-2011 07:35 AM

My very own first machine was a Kenmore that I bought from Sears when I had my own job and money. It was basic but it was all mine. I was 16 yo.

I had used my mother's Singer from 9 years old and my Granny's treadle some before I bought my own. Can't even begin to count all those that I have had or have since that first of my own.

dixiebelle162002 03-05-2011 07:37 AM

My first machine was a Singer, but I don't remember the model. I bought this because when we were stationed overseas.

CarrieAnne 03-05-2011 07:38 AM

My first one was a graduation present from my Parents, a New Home.

sweet 03-05-2011 07:39 AM

My Mom was so very nice to get for me a great Kenmore with cabinet for my 13th birthday. It sat for many years with out much use until I got the bite. I use the machine everyday and I love it! My Aunt got a new machine sometime after I got mine and my brother bought and brought it to me for my 50th birthday.

sueisallaboutquilts 03-05-2011 07:40 AM

My Dad bought me a Kenmore when I was 23. You couldn't get me near a sewing machine before I had kids but when my first son was born I wanted to learn how to sew!!!!!!!!! :D:D
My Mom told my Dad that I needed a sewing machine and all the notions b/c money was tight then for DH and me.
Glad for that!!!
I will NEVER part with that machine, in fact it still works.
My boys also know it's to stay in the family b/c of Pop :)

AliKat 03-05-2011 07:42 AM

Mine was a Singer. it was their portable model in a very heavy case. I got it when I was 13 years old in the 50's. I gave it to my daughter about 20 years ago and kept going. Unfortunately the case disintegrated due to flooding so she ended up with another [lighter] machine.

ali