Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your very first sewing machine, and how old were you?

Mine was the original, gray, Singer Touch and Sew. I was 12. It came with a free course from Singer. My mother bought it for me, although she did not sew, she had watched me hand sew with Barbie patterns. It was the beginning of my life, as I cannot even imagine not sewing....it would be like not breathing! I kept that machine until I was due to have my second child and I traded it in on the Athena by Singer. I won't continue on because I am ashamed of how many machines I have had, and do have....but I love them all.
    Michelle G.
    El Paso, Texas

Mine was also a Singer, but don't remember the model. It was in the late 60s and I was about 12 or 13. I remember making matching outfits for my little sisters with it.

Mine was a treadle singer and I was 9.

Blog Entries
    My dad bought me a Sears machine when I was 12. I used that one for 14 years and then gave to my SIL.

My very own first machine was a Kenmore that I bought from Sears when I had my own job and money. It was basic but it was all mine. I was 16 yo.

I had used my mother's Singer from 9 years old and my Granny's treadle some before I bought my own. Can't even begin to count all those that I have had or have since that first of my own.

Blog Entries
    My first machine was a Singer, but I don't remember the model. I bought this because when we were stationed overseas.

My first one was a graduation present from my Parents, a New Home.

My Mom was so very nice to get for me a great Kenmore with cabinet for my 13th birthday. It sat for many years with out much use until I got the bite. I use the machine everyday and I love it! My Aunt got a new machine sometime after I got mine and my brother bought and brought it to me for my 50th birthday.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    My Dad bought me a Kenmore when I was 23. You couldn't get me near a sewing machine before I had kids but when my first son was born I wanted to learn how to sew!!!!!!!!! :D:D
    My Mom told my Dad that I needed a sewing machine and all the notions b/c money was tight then for DH and me.
    Glad for that!!!
    I will NEVER part with that machine, in fact it still works.
    My boys also know it's to stay in the family b/c of Pop :)

Mine was a Singer. it was their portable model in a very heavy case. I got it when I was 13 years old in the 50's. I gave it to my daughter about 20 years ago and kept going. Unfortunately the case disintegrated due to flooding so she ended up with another [lighter] machine.

ali

for my 16th birthday I got a blue brother in a yellow flowered case and almost 40 years later I still have it although I haven't used it in 15 years since I got my Bernina 1530. I don't think I'll ever part with it !

My mother taught me to sew at age 9 on her very old Brother. It folds down into the cabinet. I still have it and still use it from time to time. The first upgrade I bought myself was a Singer when I moved out. When she passed my dad gave me her machine.

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    I still have it from 1971. Mine was a portable Penncrest I bought myself at JCPenneys. I saved the money from babysitting. I was 16 and my boyfirends mom was a seamstess, she taught me and her DD to sew at the same time. She was also a great cook. I am who I am becasue if her. 40 years later and I am still in contact with her. My own mom could have cared less if I was dead or alive.

Blog Entries
    I had a singer, don't know the model, wish I did, I was about 8, my frugal Dad probably got it for a couple dollars and brought it home for me. I sewed my first pant suit when I was 10, my Mom was a 4-H teacher and loved perfection, that's when I learned to use a seam ripper

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Mine was a singer and I was 9. I still have her and she still works. BUT.....my youngest dd has her at her house. She is sewing like crazy -Clothes - so I am buying her a new one soon and getting "Birdy" back. She is soooooo old if I am 55 then she is 46. Wow. She even has her same cabinet she came in. Wow, what memories.

My first machine was an OLD White machine...prob. from the 40's, in a cabinet...only did straight stitch, but did it well! I was 16 and bought it with my own money. I had it upstairs in my bedroom. My mom had an old "New Home" downstairs...again, just did straight stitch. (BTW, this was 1976.)

I bought my second machine off of my sister a couple years later when I was 18. It had ZIG-ZAG! Woohoo! LOL I thought I was in heaven!

From there I went through a poorly made Singer from the 80's until I finally bought a used Bernina 830 Record in 1995.

I have since sold it and own 2 computerized Vikings...one does embroidery, too.

Blog Entries
    My mom give me her old Kenmore it had all the bell and dwistle at that time. She had it for a long time and i had it for 15 years. it was a good one :thumbup:

I learned at nine to sew on my mom's featherweight. At fifteen, I used my babysitting money to buy a used gray coloured Touch and Sew which I used until 1976 when I bought my Bernina 830 Record. My daughter now sews on my mom's featherweight and my SIL still has my Touch and Sew. I have kept my Bernina 830 as my back up machine to my Janome 6500.

Blog Entries
    As a teenager, I sewed on my mother's treasured White at home and my grandmother's Singers (one treadle) while on vacation. My husband bought me a portable machine for our first Christmas when I was 17. I don't remember the brand. It was replaced with a cabinet Kenmore with more stitches in 1961. In 1974, I bought my Elna SU Star. The Kenmore is in hiding, but the Elna is still going strong. Last year I added a 1952 Singer 128 asnd a 1956 Singer 301A. So my first was an unknown 1958 model.

Bought myself a $100 industrial/teaching model in 1987. Gave it away to my sister (still kicking myself) because my parents gave me a Husqvarna/Viking when I graduated from my master's program in civil engineering in 1990. She still doesn't sew, but has hopes her daughters will.

Mine was a Kenmore that my parents bought used & gave to me for Christmas when I was 20. It is in a cabinet & folds down. It has lots of stitches, no free arm & weighs a ton! I still love the overcast stitch & the buttonhole on it. I need to check it out, but I think it was made in the mid 60's. I still have it-just can't part with it, but haven't used it much lately & it needs to be serviced. I wish it had an odometer becuase I would love to know how many miles I sewed on that machine!

Mine was a Singer, I was 16. My dad bought it for me. I used it til DH bought me a Viking in 1985, which was 15 years later. My Sis-IL now uses the Singer, and I still use the Viking.

Blog Entries
    I didn't OWN a sewing machine until after I got married at 20 yrs old, but I learned to sew on a 1940's treadle that had belonged to my grandmother. I started making doll clothes at about 5 I think. My daughter now has the treadle but she uses it as an end table!

Blog Entries
    My mom had a Singer 306 that I sewed on while still at home. My first SM of my own happened to be a FW, back when they weren't anything special. I paid $50 for it in 1961 and sewed for 4 kids on it as a military wife with little money. I still have that machine, but it is so worn I just keep it for sentimental reasons and once in a while get it out.

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    mine is at my son's house. It's a Basic Model singer (the cheapest I could find) that I bought new when I was 20. I made lots of little dresses, and a couple of big ones for my daughter when she was growing up. Made my first couple of quilts on it, too; then my husband bought me my beautiful bernina. :-D

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast