Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's the best lamp? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-best-lamp-t23967.html)

JCL in FL 08-09-2009 07:12 PM

I have been looking at a lamp for quilting. I used to have one but it broke so I've been using a table lamp that has a swing arm. JoAnns has them on sale. Any advise. Is the wattage an issue? Does anyone have one of those trays that clip on to the stand? How's that?

SaraSewing 08-09-2009 07:14 PM

I really really really want an OTT light!

blahel 08-09-2009 10:35 PM

i really, really wanted an OTT light too but couldnt afford one so i got one of my sons old swivel desk lights and put in a daylight globe and it works great!!

eparys 08-10-2009 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by JCL in FL
I have been looking at a lamp for quilting. I used to have one but it broke so I've been using a table lamp that has a swing arm. JoAnns has them on sale. Any advise. Is the wattage an issue? Does anyone have one of those trays that clip on to the stand? How's that?

I actually bought the Ott lamp that sits on the floor a couple of years ago - it also has a magnifying glass.. It is the High Def Easy View Craft Lamp that JoAnns sells. I love it and use it for lots of stuff but it was much cheaper back then. Also the bulbs were not available as they are now.

I would be tempted to get the The OttLiteŽ High Definition Natural Lighting screw in bulb from a place like JoAnns and put it into another fixture as Blahel suggested!! There are also other manufacturers that now produce them. Google "full spectrum bulbs" and you will be amazed what you can find.

tlrnhi 08-10-2009 05:18 AM

I have 2 Ott Lamps and I love them!
One is a floor one that has the swing arm to it and the other is a clip on.

Mamaskeeto 08-10-2009 05:32 AM

I have an OTT light and love it when I hand sew. I also have another light that I bought through a mail order catalog and it's just as nice and was only $50 for the floor model. I believe the company name was Back Street. My daughter wanted one of the lights to study with and I found one at, of all places, True Value Hardware. You never know what you're going to find when your hubby is picking up wood.

sewjoyce 08-10-2009 05:46 AM

I think that Ott lights are the best!! I have 2 and wish I had more!!

tlrnhi 08-10-2009 06:09 AM

I bought mine online from Joanns using their 1/2 off and free shipping.

JoanneS 08-10-2009 09:08 AM

Ott lamps are on sale at JoAnn's - 50% off - at mine that's 50% of $139.99. I LOVE my floor Ott. Light weight - I can move it with one hand. The light truly is like daylight.

I bought my Ott from Nancy's Notions. When it arrived, the bulb wouldn't work. I called them to complain, and they sent a new bulb - and I didn't even have to send them the bulb that didn't work! That's good customer service! I don't know what JoAnn's would do.

Blahel's idea of buying a bulb and putting it in a fixture you already have sounds good to me, though. It's worth trying.

Mammaskeeto -I Googled, but I couldn't find Back Street, but $50 fo the floor model is fantastic! Did that include shipping ?

I tried True Value, but they don't sell on-line. We have to check at our local stores. It's worth a try!

jamsbuying 08-10-2009 09:18 AM

I love my Ott floor lamp...