Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's a Reasonable Price for Machine Quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-reasonable-price-machine-quilting-t12739.html)

froggy 11-01-2008 04:03 PM

hi! I have a friend who has a quilting business and she charges 1 cent per square inch for very simple designs and 2 cents per square inch for more detailed or personalized quilting.

I hope this helps
Froggy

raksmum 11-02-2008 10:13 PM

[quote]the person that does mine has batting available for $5/yd (that's included in the $100 i've been paying. it's just easier to use hers, and it's wider than what i can get). i supply the backing and just hand the pieces to her all separate in the bag (she sandwiches). she returns it back to me ready to be trimmed up and bound.

Wow, fabricluver, that is a great deal for a queen size. I am in Alberta, Canada and it is $100 for a lap to twin size for just the quilting. You supply the backing, batting, etc.

Janeen 11-03-2008 10:43 AM

The ladies here charge $40 for a twin, and full, that's including batting... you supply the back.., $45 for queen, $50 for king, throw $29 and baby $20... they have set sizes for those, so if your quilt falls between what they have for full and queen you pay the queen size price.

I did have them add some sashing on one quilt and they supplied the back (it was some of the same fabric as the sashing), and I had them use the cotton batting (an extra $5) and it was still only $90 - and extremely REASONABLE price. That's with pantograms or graphs or whatever that word is :roll:

They may have to raise their prices because frankly *I* wouldn't do that much work for such little return! OTOH we are in a very depressed area and they may not be able to raise their prices very much. They also do sewing/quilting and sell the quilts and have a quilt shop so the whole thing isn't dependent upon the quilting.

I was very happy with their work, it's just that I had so many quilts (UFOs) and want to do so many more that it was worth it to me to go ahead and get the Bailey setup... Once you've done a quilt or two you can see that the prices charged are VERY reasonable - It's a lot of work... and specialty work even more so...
The other reason I wanted the Bailey is I want to do everything on MY quilts - trying to explain to somebody who doesn't know much about the quilt world that 'somebody' did the quilting and I did the piecing gets a little ridiculous - it's a whole lot easier to say, "I did it!" :lol:

OnTheGo 11-03-2008 08:35 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm just now getting back on here to check on your answers. This gives me some idea what to expect.

memathomas 06-09-2010 05:49 AM

you supply the back i use warm and natural batting i will supply it if you want another kind you supply .., $55.00 for queen, $75.00 for king, throw and twin $30. and baby $20

memathomas
emma Mo..
if you want phone and address pm me
thanks

redpurselady 06-09-2010 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Janeen
The ladies here charge $40 for a twin, and full, that's including batting... you supply the back.., $45 for queen, $50 for king, throw $29 and baby $20... they have set sizes for those, so if your quilt falls between what they have for full and queen you pay the queen size price.

I did have them add some sashing on one quilt and they supplied the back (it was some of the same fabric as the sashing), and I had them use the cotton batting (an extra $5) and it was still only $90 - and extremely REASONABLE price. That's with pantograms or graphs or whatever that word is :roll:

They may have to raise their prices because frankly *I* wouldn't do that much work for such little return! OTOH we are in a very depressed area and they may not be able to raise their prices very much. They also do sewing/quilting and sell the quilts and have a quilt shop so the whole thing isn't dependent upon the quilting.

I was very happy with their work, it's just that I had so many quilts (UFOs) and want to do so many more that it was worth it to me to go ahead and get the Bailey setup... Once you've done a quilt or two you can see that the prices charged are VERY reasonable - It's a lot of work... and specialty work even more so...
The other reason I wanted the Bailey is I want to do everything on MY quilts - trying to explain to somebody who doesn't know much about the quilt world that 'somebody' did the quilting and I did the piecing gets a little ridiculous - it's a whole lot easier to say, "I did it!" :lol:

These prices are AWESOME!! Very hard to find anything comparable here in Texas.

Sadiemae 06-09-2010 02:08 PM

Ditto--you won't find anything this cheap where I live.

dsb38327 06-09-2010 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by blueribbontoes
I pay 1 cent per square inch, plus $1 a bobbin. (Not a typical sized bobbin, this is more 'industrial' sized.) Batting, backing, and binding are extra and vary on materials/size/etc.

I have only sent one quilt out to this lady, and have only have seen it in process. I can't wait to see how it turned out!

blueribbontoes, your avatar totally broke my concentration. I am sitting here with my eyes on that beautiful baby just smiling and smiling. Now I will go back and start reading this post again.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ToucanSam 06-09-2010 02:13 PM

I pay 1.5 cents per sq inch for meandering. But since I know how to do that, and have some access to a machine that I can machine quilt on, I rarely pay anyone to do it for me.
Now if I make something pretty enough, I'll pay for pantographs...they charge a bit more, but not sure how much.

Lori S 06-09-2010 02:34 PM

Around here the minimum is .015 cents per square inch. Multiply lenght in inches by width in inches. Some Long arm throw in the thread at that price. Thats for basic , the costs go up from there. At the .015 cents you provide the batting and backing.
Lots of people doing long arm work , make sure you see samples of their work before hand, ask lots of questions, like how long they have been in business. Do they have a stitch regulator? How long before you get the quilt back? etc.
Make sure you get a written estimate of all charges, with a description of the work.
Best resources for finding a good professional is referall. Ask at the LQS for their recommendations, and if they have any pieces in the shop that were done by that person. Mine has a extensive list and can tell me who does what type quilting the best.