Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What's a Reasonable Price for Machine Quilting?

What is a reasonable price to pay for machine quilting a king, queen, full and twin? My friend gave me a name of someone nearby who machine quilts, but I would like to know what prices to expect before I talk to her.

i've paid just short of $100 a couple of times over the last year or so for queen size. not sure about the 'per square inch' price, but i think that's how most of the long arm quilters charge.

Banned
    Wow, it depends on so many things. The size of the quilt, the quilting pattern you choose, the part of the country you live in, if it's a rush job. So many variables. For a simple edge to edge pattern, I pay . 0133 cents per square inch (psi). Custom can go up to .05 psi. Most longarmers have their rates psi on their websires. Check our some in your area. Be sure to ask a lot of questions and throughly "interview" the person before you decide to go ahead.

Check these threads from the past
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/2940.page
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/9217.page

Apparently this woman furnishes the backing, batting and binding of your choice plus gives you the choice of design and rounded or square corners. Is that what others do?

Thanks for your answers, nor'easter and fabricluvr.

the person that does mine has batting available for $5/yd (that's included in the $100 i've been paying. it's just easier to use hers, and it's wider than what i can get). i supply the backing and just hand the pieces to her all separate in the bag (she sandwiches). she returns it back to me ready to be trimmed up and bound.

Banned
    Mine also supplies backing and batting if you want her to. I never have, so I have never called for prices. She has hundreds of quilting patterns to choose from and we are bartering services...she quilts and I am comprising a catalog of her patterns and helping with other computer organization things in exchange. It's a great arrangement for us both! :D

She also does basting if you want to hand quilt, will make and sew the binding to the front of your quilted top (you provide the fabric) for $1 per linear foot, and will hand sew it to the back for an additional $2 per linear foot. She also will make pillow cases to match your quilt with the quilting design incorporated in the hem. She will finish them or give them back to you to finish.

I pay 1 cent per square inch, plus $1 a bobbin. (Not a typical sized bobbin, this is more 'industrial' sized.) Batting, backing, and binding are extra and vary on materials/size/etc.

I have only sent one quilt out to this lady, and have only have seen it in process. I can't wait to see how it turned out!

do a search for long arm quilters and see what they charge from their websites. I think, beside the batting and backing, they charge by how much stitching you get. If the stitching further apart it costs less than if it's closer together. Custom quilting is a different price than following a pattern.
    Rebecca
    http://www.quilterscrossroads.com

I recently had a baby quilt size throw done. The lady charged me $20 and that included the batting. I furnished the backing. She returned to me all very nicely quilted and ready to be bound.

Banned
    Just a note, some longarmers have a minimum charge. Here it's $40 or $45 depending on who you go to. In other words, no matter how small the piece, you'll pay that minimum amount. It still takes them the time and effort for the set up, etc. and they deserve to meet their break even point.

hi! I have a friend who has a quilting business and she charges 1 cent per square inch for very simple designs and 2 cents per square inch for more detailed or personalized quilting.

I hope this helps
    Froggy

Blog Entries

[quote]the person that does mine has batting available for $5/yd (that's included in the $100 i've been paying. it's just easier to use hers, and it's wider than what i can get). i supply the backing and just hand the pieces to her all separate in the bag (she sandwiches). she returns it back to me ready to be trimmed up and bound.

Wow, fabricluver, that is a great deal for a queen size. I am in Alberta, Canada and it is $100 for a lap to twin size for just the quilting. You supply the backing, batting, etc.

Banned
    The ladies here charge $40 for a twin, and full, that's including batting... you supply the back.., $45 for queen, $50 for king, throw $29 and baby $20... they have set sizes for those, so if your quilt falls between what they have for full and queen you pay the queen size price.

I did have them add some sashing on one quilt and they supplied the back (it was some of the same fabric as the sashing), and I had them use the cotton batting (an extra $5) and it was still only $90 - and extremely REASONABLE price. That's with pantograms or graphs or whatever that word is :roll:

They may have to raise their prices because frankly *I* wouldn't do that much work for such little return! OTOH we are in a very depressed area and they may not be able to raise their prices very much. They also do sewing/quilting and sell the quilts and have a quilt shop so the whole thing isn't dependent upon the quilting.

I was very happy with their work, it's just that I had so many quilts (UFOs) and want to do so many more that it was worth it to me to go ahead and get the Bailey setup... Once you've done a quilt or two you can see that the prices charged are VERY reasonable - It's a lot of work... and specialty work even more so...
    The other reason I wanted the Bailey is I want to do everything on MY quilts - trying to explain to somebody who doesn't know much about the quilt world that 'somebody' did the quilting and I did the piecing gets a little ridiculous - it's a whole lot easier to say, "I did it!" :lol:

Thanks everyone. I'm just now getting back on here to check on your answers. This gives me some idea what to expect.

you supply the back i use warm and natural batting i will supply it if you want another kind you supply .., $55.00 for queen, $75.00 for king, throw and twin $30. and baby $20

memathomas
    emma Mo..
    if you want phone and address pm me
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Janeen
    The ladies here charge $40 for a twin, and full, that's including batting... you supply the back.., $45 for queen, $50 for king, throw $29 and baby $20... they have set sizes for those, so if your quilt falls between what they have for full and queen you pay the queen size price.

I did have them add some sashing on one quilt and they supplied the back (it was some of the same fabric as the sashing), and I had them use the cotton batting (an extra $5) and it was still only $90 - and extremely REASONABLE price. That's with pantograms or graphs or whatever that word is :roll:

They may have to raise their prices because frankly *I* wouldn't do that much work for such little return! OTOH we are in a very depressed area and they may not be able to raise their prices very much. They also do sewing/quilting and sell the quilts and have a quilt shop so the whole thing isn't dependent upon the quilting.

I was very happy with their work, it's just that I had so many quilts (UFOs) and want to do so many more that it was worth it to me to go ahead and get the Bailey setup... Once you've done a quilt or two you can see that the prices charged are VERY reasonable - It's a lot of work... and specialty work even more so...
    The other reason I wanted the Bailey is I want to do everything on MY quilts - trying to explain to somebody who doesn't know much about the quilt world that 'somebody' did the quilting and I did the piecing gets a little ridiculous - it's a whole lot easier to say, "I did it!" :lol:
    These prices are AWESOME!! Very hard to find anything comparable here in Texas.

Blog Entries
    Ditto--you won't find anything this cheap where I live.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blueribbontoes
    I pay 1 cent per square inch, plus $1 a bobbin. (Not a typical sized bobbin, this is more 'industrial' sized.) Batting, backing, and binding are extra and vary on materials/size/etc.

I have only sent one quilt out to this lady, and have only have seen it in process. I can't wait to see how it turned out!
    blueribbontoes, your avatar totally broke my concentration. I am sitting here with my eyes on that beautiful baby just smiling and smiling. Now I will go back and start reading this post again.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I pay 1.5 cents per sq inch for meandering. But since I know how to do that, and have some access to a machine that I can machine quilt on, I rarely pay anyone to do it for me.
    Now if I make something pretty enough, I'll pay for pantographs...they charge a bit more, but not sure how much.

Around here the minimum is .015 cents per square inch. Multiply lenght in inches by width in inches. Some Long arm throw in the thread at that price. Thats for basic , the costs go up from there. At the .015 cents you provide the batting and backing.
    Lots of people doing long arm work , make sure you see samples of their work before hand, ask lots of questions, like how long they have been in business. Do they have a stitch regulator? How long before you get the quilt back? etc.
    Make sure you get a written estimate of all charges, with a description of the work.
    Best resources for finding a good professional is referall. Ask at the LQS for their recommendations, and if they have any pieces in the shop that were done by that person. Mine has a extensive list and can tell me who does what type quilting the best.