Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's sad about being a quilter... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-sad-about-being-quilter-t158224.html)

Deborahlees 10-05-2011 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden

Originally Posted by feline fanatic

Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs
So many fabrics .... so little time.
Am convinced this craft is totally addictive... has anyone gone into rehab?

Phe! Rehab is for quitters not quilters!

haha

Isn't Rehab those retreats we go on, on the weekend in another city so we can visit all those quilt shops.....talk to all those new quilter friends....and come home with a ton of new ideas.....Isn't that Rehab ?????

rusty quilter 10-05-2011 12:10 PM

...and we make quilts for everyone else but ourselves!!

dltaylor 10-05-2011 12:11 PM

That is soo true!!

dltaylor 10-05-2011 12:12 PM

Someone should start a swap!! Everyone make a quilt top (set a standard price)and then swap the quilt tops!! Might be fun!

mamaquilts 10-05-2011 12:16 PM

True, but I've had people who make other types of crafts give me things that I charish.

I have an afgan my Grandmother made for me that I will never give away.
A bead necklaus that my Grandfather's girlfriend gave me.

And of course, those wonderful little items that my children have made for me.

MadQuilter 10-05-2011 12:17 PM

What's sadder is that many don't make quilts for themselves. (I'm not in that group though)

sguillot 10-05-2011 12:20 PM

I think it's because we assume you could make anything you want. For me, its because I think everyone else makes better quilts than I do and I don't want them to feel obligated to say something nice when it's not or just say something nice to not hurt my feelings. I guess there's no difference in a whole quilt(just more work) than a block exchange. HUMM, good one to think about.

Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden
You know what's sad about being a quilter?...No one ever makes quilts for us. I make quilts for other people but no one has ever given me a handmade quilt :(

sguillot 10-05-2011 12:22 PM

I don't make them for myself either. The very first one I finished my late husband thought it was the greatest quilt in the world and wouldn't let anyone else touch it. My stepdaughter(his daughter) keeps asking for it and I'm not letting it go because it ment so much to him.

Izaquilter 10-05-2011 12:25 PM

I've made at least 2 quilts for my cousin, my sister, my mother, my mother in law, my sister in law. Only one of them quilts or attempts to quilt BUT she does do other crafts & I have not in the 20+ yrs of us sewing received ONE thing from her. I crocheted everyone afghans when I was crocheting, nothing from any of them. It really does make me wonder why. Especially since the one knows how much goes into making a quilt. Not any more tho. I'm done doing for others, unless they are buying it. Everyone keeps asking me what I plan to do with all my quilts & I say "keep them" :hunf:

sguillot 10-05-2011 12:25 PM

Very true. I went to counseling after my husband died and I did talk about the fact that I started many but never finished them. After 3 long years of greeving, I am finally starting to quilt again and have actually finished a couple with many more to go but it's a start.

Originally Posted by feline fanatic

Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs
So many fabrics .... so little time.
Am convinced this craft is totally addictive... has anyone gone into rehab?

Phe! Rehab is for quitters not quilters!