Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's so hard about 'blue'?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-so-hard-about-blue-t188612.html)

DebraK 05-10-2012 06:43 PM

not a bad solution ;-)

Suze9395 05-10-2012 07:21 PM

I was going to make my sister's wedding quilt, so I asked her what her colors were. She said blue. I said what color blue. She said oh...light blue, you know soft, like faded jeans. Ok, that works. So, a few weeks later we were talking and she described the color again. (I should mention I had already boughten fabric) This time she compared it to blue hydrangeas. Aaaahhhh. Those are two different colors! She didn't think they were. Sisters.

Scissor Queen 05-10-2012 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5207776)
I once asked my sister what she would like for some event one year.

She said pillowcases. Okay, I can do pillowcases.

I asked her "What color?"

She said: "Light blue."

Okay - I asked her to send me some paint chips so I could get the right 'kind' of blue.

She said: "What's so hard about 'blue'?

Anyone else have this type of dialog? I was just trying to get a shade that would be compatible with what she had. I did not appreciate her apparent lack of cooperation.

PS - She has finally come around to realizing that there is more than one shade of any given color.

She's obviously never stood in front of 6 feet of every shade of blue. LOL

burchquilts 05-10-2012 10:46 PM

When I first saw this title, I thought "everything is hard about blue" but then after I read your post, I realized it wasn't what I was thinking about. I was thinking about how hard I find it to match blues (especially navy) in my quilts. D-u-h. I'm so silly!

I'm with the other kids here... I never ask. It's been my experience that most people are so happy to get something hand made that they don't care what color it is. Granted, I don't go nuts with color, but still...

twinkie 05-11-2012 05:43 AM

I would do the pillow case with three pieces in it. The body, the border, and the 1" folded strip between them.
Then you could use 3 coordinating blue colors.

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5207776)
I once asked my sister what she would like for some event one year.

She said pillowcases. Okay, I can do pillowcases.

I asked her "What color?"

She said: "Light blue."

Okay - I asked her to send me some paint chips so I could get the right 'kind' of blue.

She said: "What's so hard about 'blue'?

Anyone else have this type of dialog? I was just trying to get a shade that would be compatible with what she had. I did not appreciate her apparent lack of cooperation.

PS - She has finally come around to realizing that there is more than one shade of any given color.

Caswews 05-11-2012 06:42 AM

I understand completely !! MY dear grand daughters are the same .. One states red -umm okay what shade of red ? One states purple- okay again what shade ?? LOL The baby she don't care anything gma !LOL
OH well one of the most wonderful problems of life that we all must cope with !LOL

wildyard 05-11-2012 06:56 AM

LOL, My DH thinks any and all shades of one color match all the others. For him, if it's blue, it matches all blues. His color life is simple. Smilesssssss.......

KyKaren1949 05-11-2012 07:08 AM

Some people have no sense of color. To them, blue is blue, green is green, etc. For those of us who see the myriad of shades of every color, it's a mystery why they don't see it as we do. When I went to college, I attended a Catholic University that required 21 hours of Religion if you were Catholic. Not being Catholic, I took those classes in art, for which I will be eternally grateful. It has served me extremely well in so many aspects of life.

bglock1 05-11-2012 09:13 AM

That is so funny! My sister (who lives 350 miles away) just recently bought a house and painted. For her birthday I made her a table topper, however her dining room is purple and no matter how many pictures she sent me everyone of them appeared blue! I finally drove an hour away to the nearest Home Depot and picked up a paint chip sample of her paint. Everything matched perfectly, but I did have to buy material twice! The first was way off! All worth it in the end!

Knitnoid 05-11-2012 09:25 AM

I asked my niece what her favorite color is so I could make a quilt for her graduation. She said "turquoise". I countered with "turquoise blue or turquoise green". Finally asked for paint swatches -- but didn't get those until after the fabric was bought and quilt started. She's seen pictures and says she likes it, but I've discovered this particular color does not photograph well. I'll find out next weekend if she really likes the color. If she doesn't I'm keeping the quilt!