Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's so hard about 'blue'?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-so-hard-about-blue-t188612.html)

GrannieAnnie 05-12-2012 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5207776)
I once asked my sister what she would like for some event one year.

She said pillowcases. Okay, I can do pillowcases.

I asked her "What color?"

She said: "Light blue."

Okay - I asked her to send me some paint chips so I could get the right 'kind' of blue.

She said: "What's so hard about 'blue'?

Anyone else have this type of dialog? I was just trying to get a shade that would be compatible with what she had. I did not appreciate her apparent lack of cooperation.

PS - She has finally come around to realizing that there is more than one shade of any given color.

I'm always frustrated by color variations. Yellow & gold seem impossible to match. Green and blue can be bummers sometimes, but the yellow and gold are my problems.

GrannieAnnie 05-12-2012 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by helenhiwater (Post 5211281)
Some people like me will argue for hours over the difference between turquiose and teal. Some people don't see it. I go into a fabric store with hundreds of selections and never do find the shade I am looking for. The easiest thing is to just find something pretty.

simple, teal is far more green than turquoise.

GrannieAnnie 05-12-2012 08:03 AM

25 years ago when we we building this house, I wanted beige vinyl on the gable ends. The builder brought us samples of beige. One was too pink, one was too yellow, one was too green, one was too blue----------I ended up with one that was more gray. Hubby decided I was nuts and that beige was beige.

diamondee 05-12-2012 08:14 AM

I say make it blue in many shades, then they can match things to the quilt LOL

hperttula123 05-12-2012 08:19 AM

there are so many shades of blue and if you go to dark it could be a country blue, or sky blue, lol...the list goes on. I know what you are talking about. My sister is buying her first house and I asked her if she wanted anything in particular. She said she couldn't think of anything. She said everything they own is tan/beige and just to make it go with that. That is much easier than "blue". :) I've seen my my sisters house once before, and everything she owns is plain. I can do just about anything as long as it isn't countryish(that's my new word for the day). I know you want to make something that goes and matches what she has. Is there anyway you can go visit or get a pic of what she has already? You can then pick fabric to go with it.

wordpaintervs 05-12-2012 09:54 AM

Hi there....found this business of blue interesting. Sounds like something my kids would have said
"What's hard about blue" . I understand the frustration. ggl

Vickey S.

RedGarnet222 05-12-2012 10:02 AM

I also ran into this situation. I asked my brother's girlfriend what her favorite color was and she said light blue. Well I made her a beautiful large foot warmer (bed runner) for the end of her bed and all she said was that's the wrong color blue! I about fainted! All that work for that?

Here is another story... My cousin begged me to make her a quilt. I said what color is your favorite? "Tourquoise" was her only response. So I made a beautiful queen sized tourquoise and purple star log cabin for her. When she got it last christmes she said. "This was not what I was expecting". She came to love it, but geez... What a let down for me!
Here it is... I know not everyones cup of tea...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...n-t101447.html

tjradj 05-12-2012 01:47 PM

Fantastic idea. I'm going to use that.

Originally Posted by butterflies5518 (Post 5210150)
What a great idea. Rarely do I ask about colors.

bearisgray 05-12-2012 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 (Post 5211900)
I also ran into this situation. I asked my brother's girlfriend what her favorite color was and she said light blue. Well I made her a beautiful large foot warmer (bed runner) for the end of her bed and all she said was that's the wrong color blue! I about fainted! All that work for that?

Here is another story... My cousin begged me to make her a quilt. I said what color is your favorite? "Tourquoise" was her only response. So I made a beautiful queen sized tourquoise and purple star log cabin for her. When she got it last christmes she said. "This was not what I was expecting". She came to love it, but geez... What a let down for me!
Here it is... I know not everyones cup of tea...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...n-t101447.html

It is pretty - but 'unconventional' when I think of log cabin.

I think I might have asked for another color that she likes with turquoise - some people like rust or brown.

By the way, turquoise, purple, and lime is one of my favorite color combinations.

Mousie 05-12-2012 03:33 PM

I was just pondering things like this earlier.
Sometimes when we have a person in our lives that wants to find something, shall we say, "out of joint",
they will! :rolleyes:
I've been advised to ignore and not take stuff personal.
Sometimes the very thing you are told "not to do", just puts it right 'there' on your brain :shock: