Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's wrong with this quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-wrong-quilt-t272441.html)

Friday1961 11-21-2015 09:28 AM

Is it too much red? Personally, I think it's a lovely quilt, but I do understand that we sometimes are disenchanted when we've finished something and can't quite figure out why. The fabrics are very nice, I like the way you've used them. The borders are perfect. And Warm Wishes makes for an interesting look, I think.

Maybe if you put it away for awhile, you'll like it better later. If not, then yes, donate it. Someone will love what you cannot.

Friday1961 11-21-2015 09:40 AM

>>>Well, I'm color blind, so my opinion doesn't mean that much...the green doesn't work for me! It seems kind of dull combined with the other fabrics. Please note that my color vision often doesn't allow me to see the 'true' color in a fabric. Before I knew I was color blind, I used to look at things and think "What were they thinking?" if the colors seemed off to me. Now I know that the problem is mine!<<<<

Totally off topic, so forgive me, everyone, but Cathy's post reminded me of something. Many years ago, my cousin bought her brother a pair of pale pinkish wool flannel slacks for Christmas. They were different but beautiful and he, a young guy, loved them. Only later did we learn--or realize--that my cousin's boyfriend, who was shopping with her, was the one who suggested she buy the slacks for her brother....because to him they looked pale gray! He's colorblind, and until he heard us exclaiming over "pink slacks" he never knew the slacks were not gray!

madamekelly 11-21-2015 10:25 AM

If that were colors you liked, you would be thrilled because you did a really nice job of it, having said that, my only suggestion would be that maybe next time remember to add more contrast? You have lots of medium tone, but no light or dark. Maybe that is what makes your eye go "eh, not so much"? Nice work on the assembly. 👍🏼

Neesie 11-21-2015 10:47 AM

I'm sorry I don't have time to read all the other responses, so I may be repeating someone else.
Overall, it's a quite nice quilt. I LOVE the red and the border print together. The green is okay but that yellow just doesn't belong, IMO. If it were more of a rich golden color, the quilt would be gorgeous!

cathyvv 11-21-2015 11:49 AM

Oh, yes, that has happened to me, too. My daughter was a keeper for her soccer team and had a black, green, red, kind of checkered shirt. At one game, she was standing in the shade waiting for half time to end. My husband pointed to her and said,"There she is!" when I asked if he knew where she was. That shirt and her dark shorts and socks completely disappeared in the shade of the trees. That gives new meaning to the quilting term, "Blenders".

hobbykat1955 11-21-2015 12:59 PM

I see what you mean...doesn't hit me I too think it needed another color too much RED...black I think would have broken it up...

sewhat540 11-21-2015 03:30 PM

I like it too, just send to me.

NanaBeez 11-21-2015 06:13 PM

I took a trip to Turkey and Israel in May and this reminds me of some of the colors. I LOVE it. It just goes to show we all have different personalities and likes. I really think we have a genetic connection to certain colors. Ever heard of Color Therapy? If it doesn't set well with you I am sure it will be much appreciated by someone or someplace you gift it too. I have seen pictures posted here before that didn't hit my thrill button but it did someones. Three cheers for variety in colors and personalities!

my-ty 11-22-2015 05:54 AM

Very useful information. We have all made quilts that don`t look as lovely as we have imaged them especially when the fabrics seem perfect together. Yes, others love it but we really don`t. These comments will really help when selecting fabrics for future quilts.

lyndaj 11-22-2015 06:19 AM

Its very pretty, but it doesn't pop (for me that is). Perhaps adding a further border of a different bolder color?

It is lovely.